new here

DMEA10
on 9/9/10 5:09 pm - Everett, MA
I used to read here a while back. I originally was going to have gastric bypass at Faulkner Hospital with Dr. Munn. I had completed everything and got a call the day before my appointment with Dr. Munn's office that there was a tragedy in his family. In the end his family relocated. I waited a while and then made an appointment at the Brigham and when that appointment finaly came around I found out that Harvard Pilgrim no longer was referring to the Brigham! So, I ended up at BIDMC a few months back. I went to my final information session last night and I have an appointment with Dr. Jone's next Wednesday. I should get my date on that day! I have decided to go for the Lap Band instead of the Gastric. I just think the risk of complications are less with the band. I am hoping to have the surgery ASAP!!! My son is deploying to Iraq in the fall and I have a cousins wedding to attend, but nothing is going to stop me this time around! 

By the way my name is Diane. I am recently separated after 22 years of marriage. I have three kids. I am looking forward to a new beginning!!!!
katchikat
on 9/10/10 1:17 am - Methuen, MA
Hi Diana, I am also new here. I have my first appointment on the 22nd at Lowell General Hospital. I don't know which WLS I will do yet. I want to meet with the doctor before I make the decision.
Welcome and It is never late for a new beginning!!!!!! Take care
DMEA10
on 9/10/10 5:50 am - Everett, MA
Good luck to you as you start this journey! Thanks for the encouragement.
RedSox15
on 9/11/10 5:17 am - MA
Hi Diane ! Welcome to the board ... great group of ladies we have on here.
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

judex
on 9/12/10 8:26 am
 Sorry about you getting bounced around. I had Dr. Mun in '07 for my lap band. It didn't work for me and he was very hard to work with on top of it. And yes his daughter died and they relocated.

Lap band was removed in '/09 when I had my RNY
at MGH with Dr. Pratt. I am very happy with the result.

Remember, the biggest risk of any surgery is the anesthesia and you have to have it either way.

Best, Jude
Jojeki
on 9/12/10 10:55 am - Fall River, MA
Welcome.  Feel free to ask anyone questions both here or on the main boards.  Everyone will throw their 2 cents in and you will get all views which can be very helpful.

Dawn
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

Lynn C
on 9/12/10 9:37 pm
Hi, nice to meet you. Dr. Jones is my guy, couldn't ask for a better surgeon. He did my gallbladder removal and LapBand in 2005 and just last week he removed my LapBand and did a VSG on me. I just got home on Sat and I'm feeling great. 

Which Wed are you going to be there - I have a follow up appointment on 9/22 so I'll be in town around 3.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

DMEA10
on 9/15/10 3:51 pm - Everett, MA
Hi, I had my appointment with Dr. Jones today. I got my date, October 25th! I am excited. I almost switched to the bypass today after hearing how many people end up needing a revision. After talkign to him, I decided to stick with the lap band. Can I ask why you had it removed?
Lynn C
on 9/15/10 11:01 pm
Congratulations! I had my band for 5 years and lost 100 but then my stomach dilated above the band. What causes it? Not sure, most likely that I was to tight for the last 6 months with the band and food was staying on top of it instead of traveling through. Problem being is the band didn't feel any different to me. My only indication was reflux that I treated at home instead of having an upper gi for.

I think the band can work for the right person. Early complications are low, you just have to make sure that you always measure your food and contact the doctor when there is a sudden change - be it restriction, reflux, etc.

Dr. Jones was willing to try and work with my band after the dilation to get it working again but I was not. It just wasn't the right surgery for me.

Good luck - surgery is only a tool - the results depend on how you use it.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views