Cheesy Bacon Tomato Pie

RedSox15
on 9/1/10 2:37 am - MA
Ohhh my lord!  Saw this recipe in a magazine today and simply can't wait to make this !!!!!
How good does this look!  Since there is not much protein, you could probably doctor this up a little bit and add some beef or poultry for some added protein.  I think it should delicious without though!

6 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup mayo ** I WILL BE OMITTING THIS AS I THINK MAYO IS THE DEVIL  LOL LOL
1/2 cup chopped green onions
12 oz. bacon, cooked, crumbled *tip, if you buy the boxed Oscar Meyer pre-cooked bacon 3 slices is 5 grams fat ... this is much lower than other bacon and it actually tasted good too!
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 9inch baked pie crust

Drain tomato slices on paper towels for 15 minutes and sprinkle w/ garlic salt
Preheat oven to 375*.  Combine cheese, mayo, 1/4 cup of green onions and pepper in medium bowl.
Layer half the tomatoes, bacon, basil and remaining 1/4 cup of green onions in pie crust. Top w/ remaining tomatoes.  Spread mayo mixture over top.  Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

*Tip from the magazine article: to peel tomatoes, cut small "X" in bottom of each tomato.  Place in large pot of boiling water 30 to 60 seconds or until skins become loose; place in large bowl of ice water.  Skind should slip off with help of paring knife.
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

LisaBC86
on 9/1/10 10:18 pm - Bridgewater, MA
So I'll be expecting a sample when you make this ...... lol and I'm NOT kidding ! lol

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
RedSox15
on 9/2/10 1:53 am - MA
You got it !!!  As soon as I'm feeling better and can eat solid foods (still on yogurt and chicken soup lol) I will be making it. 

I was thinking this weekend maybe ... I was also hoping to maybe stop by your house and pick up my t-shirt?  I'm on antibiotics finally hahha!  I will bring you a piece when I pick up the shift if I make it :)
*Kate*

HutchBiorn
on 9/2/10 11:53 am - West Springfield, MA
Sounds yummy. I want some. :P
Starting weight 309

Don't try to confuse me, I was born this way.

kawkbw
on 9/2/10 11:27 pm - MA
this sounds really good!!  Just a thought to change it a bit for more protein as you suggeated:  make it into a quiche...probally use six eggs and a can of stewed tomatoes (maybe with italian seasoning), instead of peeling and slicing them :)
pjaschic
on 9/6/10 9:48 pm - Middleboro, MA
I was thinking quiche myself! eggs or eggbeaters. And throw in some broccoli! BTW when is dinner???
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
pjaschic
on 9/6/10 9:50 pm - Middleboro, MA
Where do you get al these great recipes?? And where do you get the motivation to make them?? I would like to come over and go through your recipe box!! Bring it to next meeting! lol
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
RedSox15
on 9/8/10 3:37 am - MA
This recipe I got from a magazine ... alot of other ones I get from the boards or other websites.  You can google "gastric bypass recipes" or "weight loss surgery recipes" and you get a ****load of websites.  Good stuff out there!

My motivation?  My mouth watering after I see the recipes!  HaHa :)
*Kate*

chrisgraves
on 9/7/10 10:59 am - MA
wow this looks really good. I'm going to try that next weekend.

5'6.5"  HW: 310 / SW:279.6  /GW:150               
RedSox15
on 9/8/10 3:38 am - MA
I really enjoyed it!  Next time I make it I think I would cook it a little longer ... the bottom crust got a little soggy from all the juices from the tomatoes ... other than that it was really good! 
*Kate*

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views