Lap-Band or RNY?

katchikat
on 8/30/10 2:26 pm - Methuen, MA

I know that it is a personal choice, but I would love to hear from you: Which WLS  you did and why you choose this surgery type. I am a newbie and have my first appointment on 09/22, sometime I want to do the RNY and other time I want to do the Lapband. I am sooooo confused! I research day and night ! but I am also exicited. Please help!!!!!!!! Thank you

LisaBC86
on 8/30/10 9:58 pm - Bridgewater, MA
You're doing the research and you know it's a personal choice so no harm in asking why /how otheres chose.

For me - I had RNY and there were 2 major reasons :
1. The RNY had better stats on diabetes control and that was more main reason for contemplating the surgery.
2. the idea of the port being in me - was just not something I could handle - as well as the frequent trips in for fills - just not something I felt I would be committed to doing comforably.

I am happy to report that I have been off my diabetes meds almost from the get go and my diabetes is under control ! YEAH !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
katchikat
on 8/30/10 10:56 pm - Methuen, MA
Thank you Lisa!!!! Congratulations on your weight lost!!!! That is good to know that you are healthier now.
Lynn C
on 8/30/10 10:57 pm
make sure you check out the revision and regrets forums - if you're going to the surgery forums your going to mostly run into the people that are still happy with there surgery.  You should chose based on what you need to get out of surgery, how you eat and what you and your doctor feel fits you best.

I picked the lapband in 2005 and will be revising to the VSG next week. Although I think the band is a good tool for a select group of people (Low BMI, good dieters willing to measure all foods and not rely on the band to make you stop eating) the late complications are higher for the band then any other surgery (although early complications are slightly lower).  The most recent studies show that up to 50% of people that are banded will eventually need another surgery - to reposition the band, fix tubing or port or to convert to another surgery.

I was afraid five years ago to have my stomach cut up - plain and simple it scared me. I went with the band for the reasons everyone else does - less invasive, reversible, safer. Well now instead of one WLS I'm having two and my second may not be a true VSG because although the band is reversible it leaves behind scar tissue so your stomach is not really back like it was before banding.

Now I haven't had the VSG yet but I've chatted with a lot of people who have gone from band to VSG and they are much happier - I'm hoping that the VSG is what I wanted the band to be? Check out verticalsleevetalk.com (they have a whole forum for band to vsg revisions).

Good luck with your choice.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Sue M.
on 8/31/10 12:36 am - Nantucket, MA
I chose the RNY because I was a type 2 diabetic on insulin and needed help with that, FAST.  RNY was the more successful option for that.  I also really wanted to be forced to change my eating habits/choices, and counted on "dumping syndrome", or at least the fear of it, to help me with that.

Like Lisa, I really did not want to commit to what sounded like constant adjustments with the band and the port - it really sounded awful to me, Plus, it seemed I could figure out how to "eat around" the band pretty quickly.   My insurance did not cover DS or VSG, just Band and RNY.  

I am VERY happy with my choice.  I am almost 22 months out and have been at goal weight for about a year.  I do not take medication for any obesity related illness anymore!

take your time with research and choose what makes the most sense!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
redheadedgirl
on 9/12/10 10:28 am
I was planning on having the band at the onset. After careful consideration and discussion with the surgeon, I decided that RNY was a better choice for me. I have not regretted my decision. The thought of having to get filled was not appealing and I knew that I had to change my eating habits to get healthy and wasn't sure I had the will power required for the band. I'm just at a year and although I may lose a few more pounds, I'm thrilled with my weight loss and new wardrobe. It's a very personal decision, congratulations for taking the first steps and keep us all posted.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views