I need a little help

Joanne77
on 8/27/10 12:41 am
I had my first meeting at Tufts this past Tuesday, it went great and I really liked Dr. Power.  I'm going to need to lose 15-30 lbs before my surgery.  This is normally doable and not really a big deal except how am I supposed to lose weight when in my head I'm thinking this is my last chance to eat this, that and the other thing?  I know I'm be able to eat most things again, just in smaller quantities but I just can't get my head to not feel like I need to stuff myself before surgery. 
Did anyone else feel this way or am I crazier than I thought?
Lynn C
on 8/27/10 3:24 am

Its very normal - Last Supper Syndrome - its also very bad for you. This is the time when you need to prepare your body for surgery and get a jump start on your new life.

The biggest reason for losing weight preop is to shrink the liver and prevent either damage during surgery or conversion to an open procedure. It also shows the doctor that you are commited to making lifesyle changes. You can do this!

Good luck.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Joanne77
on 8/27/10 3:49 am
thank you, that does help put it in perspective. 
Mara C.
on 8/27/10 6:26 am - Millbury, MA
My Nut let me know how many calories I needed to eat each day "under" pre surgery to be able to loose weight.  For me was 1500 a day.  You can find out here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Then I tracked my calories each day and PLANNED all my meals and snacks, yes even bad for me choice snacks on occasion isn't bad as long as it fit into my caloric total and didn't go above 1500 I lost weight.  I felt that worked best for me b/c my new life was going to be about "moderation" not deprivation.  I lost 25lbs doing that before surgery.

P.s. Also, I only ate the BEST of the best this way too, and slowed down and enjoyed all my foods.

Good luck!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
C J
on 8/27/10 11:33 am - Franklin, MA

You're so NOT alone... I met with Dr. Greenberg at Tufts just last week, I'm working on the 20ish pounds he recommended  I lose... and omg I just want to eat anything that's not nailed down as if I have this vision of never being able to eat (or enjoy eating) again - which of course is silly and untrue.

I've been doing my best to keep a journal and getting myself to the gym. I know it's not an easy process but it'll be worth the sacrifice and will absolutely get us on the right track before the big day!  We're just paving our own path to success!

I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

pjaschic
on 8/27/10 7:15 pm - Middleboro, MA
One of the biggest things I think is giving up sugar and getting use to protein shakes! I would start there. Start cutting out your sugars, cookies, cake, processed foods. And start experimenting with protein shakes as meal replacement. I used protein shakes for breakfast, snack, then a huge salad with whatever I wanted in it, then protein shake, then sensible dinner and I lost 31 lbs 3 months before my surgery. I am assuming you are having RNY. When I really stuck with the protein shakes and didn't cheat I lost 8 lbs in one week!! And try to get in what ever exercise you can. I really couldn't do a lot because of chronic pain so if you can some you will do even better than I did. Good luck and just try to stay positive. I have to admitt the week before my surgery I did go through the last supper syndrome and went out to eat almost every night! lol
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
RedSox15
on 8/27/10 11:58 pm - MA
Protein shakes can be great pre and post surgery! If you don't like protein shakes you're not making them right

Let me know if you need any recipes ... I love protein shakes now and make them extra thick just like a McDonald's milkshake!! Sooo good

Losing the weight pre surgery will help to prepare you mentally and physically for post-op. You can do this!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Joanne77
on 8/29/10 10:07 pm
thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.  I am starting the protein shakes today, the only one I have is the click, which I know isn't a ton of protein but figure it's better than a bagel

are there other shakes you would all recommend? 

Also, I do go to the gym but this week is supposed to be so hot, I'm really going to have to force myself to go there. 

I know I can do this and it's definitely the right thing for me, I just needed to vent a little.

thanks everyone.
RedSox15
on 9/1/10 1:54 am - MA
Neopolitian Shake
8oz ff milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa + 2 tbsp sf, ff instant pudding (helps thicken)
1 cup frozen no sugar added strawberries
blend ingredients together for 2 minutes, then add ice
*tastes like neopolitian ice cream! yummy!

Chocolate Almond
8oz ff milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder + 2tbsp sf, ff instant pudding
1 package of 100 calorie packs low sodium almonds
1 tsp almond extract
blend ingredients together, then add ice

Chocolate Monkey
8oz ff milk
1 scoop choc pro powder + 2 tbsp ff, sf instant banana cream pie pudding
1 banana
*optional: 1 tbsp peanut butter
*blend, then add ice

Green Monstah
milk
scoop vanilla pro powder
1/2 pkg sf, ff instant pistachio pudding
blend, then add ice.  tastes just like pistachio ice cream
*optional: add 1 banana

White Chocolate Peanut Butter
milk
vanilla pro powder + 2 tbsp sf, ff instant white choc pudding
2 tbsp peanut butter

Strawberry Cheesecake
milk
scoop vanilla protein powder + 1/2 pkg cheesecake pudding
cup frozen strawberries

*can ya tell I got lazy towards the end ... hahaha :)

*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Joanne77
on 9/1/10 3:39 am
that's great, thank you.  Any particular brand of protein powder you like to use?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views