very low iron

jugilber
on 8/16/10 6:48 am - MA
Anyone have any experience with Iron infusions?  My ferritin is 5 and iron levell 11 (very low), and of course on top of that I am anemic...
My Doctor reccomends an IV infusion of iron...anyone had that done?  Unfortunately working as a nurse in intensive care I only see the worst of the worst, so the only peopel who I see with iron infusions dont tolerate it well.....
So I was wondering what happens in the world of non critically ill people?
And do you know if it is a multiple infusion thing?  or a one shot deal (the hematologist is squeezing me in so I havent had a formal appointment yet to ask these questions)
Thanks for your support
julie

Lynn C
on 8/16/10 8:48 am
Bummer - I don't know anyone who gets transfusions - hope someone can give you some info. Good luck!!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

LisaBC86
on 8/16/10 12:26 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Best of luck - Like Lynn I have no helpful info. to offer but wanted to wish you the best luck !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
RedSox15
on 8/17/10 2:46 am - MA
Things always come in 3's ... I also don't know anything about infusions but wanted to send some ((((hugs)))) your way !!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

jugilber
on 8/20/10 12:49 am - MA
 Hey all...
I had my iron infusion the other day...although a timely process it was painless.  I met with the hematologist and he said his experience is that 2/3rds  of RNY patients have iron defifiency anemia...and reqire infusions because of the portion that gets bypassed is the area that absorbs the most iron.  Interesting eh?  I have to say there was not a whole lot mentioned preop about those stats...not that I would not have had the surgery...because not only do I have a new body (which I am still getting used to)...BUT i have met some WONDERFUL people that I  would not have met otherwise...so thanks my friends...
Julie

RedSox15
on 8/24/10 11:14 am - MA
Woop woop!  Glad the infusion went A-OK !! :) 

We are so glad that we met you too !!!!!   
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

roseanneporcelli
on 8/24/10 10:48 pm - Bradford, MA
 I had similar lab numbers to yours and was sent for a series of 8 iron infusions at Lowell General.

The procedure was absolutely simple.. no pain, no problemsm relax in a chair for 40 minutes, then head out. No side effects.

HOWEVER, I received my bill a few weeks later and EACH OF THE EIGHT VISITS COST ME $75 plus 30% (BCBS Federal Basic) so the total for the bill was over $1100 for the series.

AND just to make it exciting, my follow-up labs at 30 days showed my levels dropping again, already. The doc's office said I would most likely require the infusions a few times a year.

I am trying iron supplements from Vitalady for now and trying to get in to the Lahey Bariatric Surgery Center to maybe have some thorough work-ups. I have several other medical complications, post-op.

Good luck with the cash outlay, but don't worry at all about the infusions.
Roseanne

pjaschic
on 8/25/10 8:43 pm - Middleboro, MA
So glad to hear it went well!! Lets hope your levels are now good and stay there!! I don't get my labs drawn for another 2 months. Hope I don't have any problems! Seems like a lot of people have something low?
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
pjaschic
on 8/25/10 8:44 pm - Middleboro, MA
So glad to hear it went well. Lets hope your levels are good now and stay there!
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views