home from surgery

MK M.
on 8/7/10 10:41 am, edited 8/7/10 10:52 am - Natick, MA
hi all,

it's taken me a couple of days, but i'm finally at the point where i feel alert enough to write a little update.

i had my laproscopic RNY tuesday morning at 10:15a at tufts - and according to the notes, all went well. the nurses up on the 4th floor were fantastic, incredibly attentive and kind, and although a couple of the technicians/aides were duds, i can say my overall care was terrific. i had a wonderful roommate who had her RNY just an hour or two before me, so it was nice to have someone to chat with (when we weren't zonked out on pain meds)

i woke up with a lot of pain on my left side (the area surrounding my largest incision) which continued throughout hospitalization, and remains pretty excruciating at times now that i'm home and moving around. there's significant bruising and it seems almost as if things are stuck together that shouldn't be. it's the most severe when i cough or sneeze, or have to bend at a funky angle - like in the ladies room! at any rate, i'm giving it until monday and if i don't see improvement, i'll be on the phone with the doc first thing.

any post-op pain stories you'd like to share? how long before you got some real relief? it is making me a little concerned since regularly i have a huge tolerance for pain - and now i can barely hold back the tears and screams when i have to move wrong.

otherwise, things are good, i think. i have a lot of help at home from the hubby and some family members, i'm not doing as well as i should be getting in my 50-60 grams of protein, but i'm trying and it's getting better daily. gas is making me want to punch someone, but i discovered gas-x today and that's made life a little easier. so, yea. i think that's it. thanks again for all of your support pre-op, it made the nerves tuesday much more bearable knowing that all of you had been there before.

i look forward to sharing and helping more now that i've made it to the other side. (and now i've worn myself out so i'm clicking submit and taking a nap)

xoxo MK

highest weight: 331 (may 2010)   |   current weight: 304   |   surgery date: august 3, 2010

do not dare to live without some clear intention toward which your living shall be bent.
                   mean to be something with all your might. ~phillips brooks

redheadedgirl
on 8/7/10 10:55 am
Congratulations! The left sided pain is very normal and can take a while to resolve, but certainly call the doc if you feel otherwise. Use a small pillow to splint up against you when you move, cough, sneeze, that will help. I am a side sleeper and it was almost 2 months before I could sleep on my side AND I have a high tolerance to pain. I took ZERO narcotics in the hospital and only tylenol at home, so yes, it's normal. I live near you, so if you want to PM me I'm happy to share. I also had my surgery at TUFTS, nearing my one year and thrilled with my progress.
MK M.
on 8/7/10 9:59 pm - Natick, MA
thanks for the quick reply, and the encouraging info. i may end up calling the doc today instead of waiting because people keep saying it's supposed to get better every day, and that's the one area that seems to be getting even MORE painful.

i'm so torn on taking the pain meds though because (sorry for the graphic report) those drugs make me super constipated --> which could be causing the increased pain in the first place. (haven't had a BM or passed gas - besides small burps - since surgery) taking the meds also makes me sleep a LOT. which means i'm not up and moving around and i'm not eating or hydrating, i'm just sitting, and slowing down recovery

BUT if i don't take the meds, i hurt all over and get nauseated and am not inclined to eat/walk/etc either.

what a mess i am!

many, many thanks for listening.
highest weight: 331 (may 2010)   |   current weight: 304   |   surgery date: august 3, 2010

do not dare to live without some clear intention toward which your living shall be bent.
                   mean to be something with all your might. ~phillips brooks

Meg_S
on 8/9/10 2:40 am - Natick, MA
Hi, I know the pain meds make you sleepy but you need rest (along with walking and sipping and trying to get your protein) in order to recover. Take colace or miralax to combat the constipation. I had lap gall bladder surgery July 22 (required prior to lap RNY August 23). I am having my surgery at St Elizabeth's in Brighton with Dr Nicole Pecquex (she did gall bladder too and I LOVE her, she's wonderful!). I had my gall bladder follow up last Friday and I asked her if the RNY would be similar or much worse. She said it would be a little different in that there would be one more large incision under my rib cage along with the one by the belly button which can be painful but the others are small. At least I fell like I know what to expect having been through a lap abdominal surgery already.

Meg
RedSox15
on 8/8/10 10:03 am - MA
Yay! Glad all went well ... the pain is normal - I could barely sleep for a week because the incision site hurt so bad. Sucked because I sleep on my side and just couldn't after surgery! If it worsens or doesn't go away call Tufts to be on the safe side!!

Hit us up with any questions or concerns!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

redheadedgirl
on 8/8/10 10:39 am
Hope you are better now. Don't let the pain get ahead of you. I'm off to a conference for the week, have my snacks packed and some protein shakes for breakfast. It feels SO good to be free from the weight! Keep up the good work, it's hard work, but well worth it.
Merrie60
on 8/8/10 12:52 pm
Hi,

I am 7 weeks out and still cannot sleep on my left side. I also have some minor back pain in the midriff area. The doctor told me it takes a long time to heal.  I also live near you in Newton.  I go to the Newton Wellesley support meetings. you should try it this tuesday they have the 0-6month meeing at 6:30 it is open to all.  I also use colace for constipation the surgeon gave it to me.

Merrie
scalingback1
on 8/10/10 7:01 am - Mashpee, MA
I am one week out and do not need pain meds but realize many do. One thing I think has been the biggest help is walking. From the day after surgery I started walking the halls and every time the pain increased I took a walk. Continued that at home and so far so good. I do use benefiber clear and natural in my protein shakes as I am prone to constipation.
Keep walking until you pass that gas! I bet you feel better after.
Congratulations and Good luck!

First goal reached at one year.    
 "What is, is. What will be, is what you make it."  Unknown

MK M.
on 8/10/10 9:17 pm - Natick, MA
hey folks - update to this in a new post on the forum, but i didn't want to let your kind words and smart advice go unnoticed. THANK YOU!

unfortunately for me, although the pain was in a totally typical site, the pain was not normal; it was a big honkin' infection and i spent sun/mon/tue back in the hospital! (see other thread)

didn't think to access OH on my iphone when i was admitted, but again, i can't tell you enough how wonderful your voices of experience are!

(and merrie - i'll definitely be in touch about the NW support groups! you're a doll)

xoxo MK
sbsg
on 8/15/10 7:51 am - Watertown, MA
 Hi! If I am getting all the clues - I think I was your roommate! I am such a loser at online communications and don't know how to properly use this site, so will ask my son to help me. I'm doing great, too. Lost 18 pounds so far. It's incredible, isn't it? I'd love to keep in touch - what a journey this is!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views