first appt. @ Tufts

Joanne77
on 7/28/10 10:33 pm

So, yesterday I scheduled my first appt. at Tufts.  It's not until late August, but anyone have any input on their program or what to expect my first appt.?

I'm really scared and excited to officially start this process.

RedSox15
on 7/29/10 2:43 am - MA
Wahoo!  Another Tufts girl!  I'm actually at Tufts today for a follow up w/ Dr. Greenberg!

Tufts is awesome .. everyone there is top notch and really cares about the progress we make.  You will love it there. 

My first appointment was w/ Dr. Greenberg (one of the psychologists; Stephanie is the other, she is great too!)  He told me alot about the program and what to expect.  He also gave me a lot of info on the band and the bypass.  I originally went in for the band but switched to the bypass.  I am very happy with that decision.  My next appointment was immersion day, then w/ the nutritionist (I have Meghan - love her!), and then finally w/ Dr. Shikora (surgeon) and Dr. Siegal (medical doctor.)  Let me know if you want a detailed timeline of when I had my appointment, I'd be happy to show you how my process went.  Everyone down to the office staff is great (beware of Tania though - alot of people don't like her as she can be kind of rude.  She was always nice to me however, but I've heard from friends that she was rude to them - I don't like that!)  Louise is the secretary on the mezzanine level and is super, super nice!!!!

Welcome to the MA board and congrats on your surgery process!!!  Let us know if you have any questions or concerns ......... this board is filled with AMAZING people!! 
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Joanne77
on 7/29/10 3:47 am
I'm glad you seem happy with your experience there.  It make me a bit more comfortable.  I know my first appt. is with Stephanie.  Right now I'm leaning towards the RNY. 

I'd love to hear more detialed timeline if you care to share.  I know it can be different for everyone based on insurance and pre-op weight loss but any info will be appreciated.  Thanks!
MK M.
on 7/29/10 6:39 am - Natick, MA
a big, warm hi there from another tufts gal!

my RNY is actually in *gulp* five days! (8/3) with dr. tarnoff. my process was similar to redsox15's (i feel silly not knowing your name, sorry!)

my first appointment was in may and i actually saw stephanie & kerri (nutritionist) on the same day. i had immersion day a couple of weeks later (it's a full day in a group setting where you get complete in-depth info about the program, the surgery, pre-op strategies, follow-up, etc etc.) and then my meeting with the surgeon, as well as follow-ups with kerri & stephanie in mid-june. i was moving along pretty quickly with weight loss, so they scheduled my surgery at that point and went ahead with insurance approvals and a quick physical with my primary care doc. i had pre-op labs last week and i'll be ready to rock on tuesday. oh - my hubby & i also attended a HOWL meeting at some point in there (it's the post-op support group. you need to attend one meeting before going ahead with your own surgery)

so far, everyone has been incredibly attentive, kind, and super-informative, and i'm excited to continue with the process. happy to answer any specific questions you might have as you move forward.
RedSox15
on 7/29/10 7:54 am - MA
Name's Kate

Sept. 8, 2009: very first visit to Tufts; appointment w/ Dr. Greenberg the psychologist (I originally wanted the lapband but eventually switched to the bypass)
Sept. 15, 2009: immersion day lead by Kerri the nutritionist (Dr. Shikora stopped by for 10 mins. to talk to everyone and that's when I knew I only wanted him as my surgeon and not the other 2 possible surgeons)
October 21, 2009: appointment w/ Meghan, the nutritionist
November 11, 2009: appointment w/ Dr. Shikora & also Dr. Siegal, the medical doctor, **got approved by the Tufts team for surgery and got a call a few days later to schedule surgery!
December 10, 2009: EKG, X-Rays and final bloodwork appointment
December 16, 2009: THE BIG DAY - Gastric Bypass w/ Dr. Shikora
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Lynn C
on 7/29/10 2:09 pm
Didn't go to Tufts but wanted to wish you luck.  

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

kawkbw
on 7/30/10 5:42 am - MA
Another TUFT'S girl here!!!  They were all great to work with.  I had no problems what so eva!!!  Good luck with the journey!!
redheadedgirl
on 8/5/10 11:26 am
Another Tufts girl here. Couldn't be happier, Dr. Shikora is incredible, very caring and sincere.
michellemc0
on 8/5/10 10:58 pm - bridgewater, MA
Hi Joanne,
Welcome!  I was a Tufts girl as well and can't say enough things about them.  My timeline:
3/2/2009--first appt w. Dr. Greenberg, went in wanting lap band and over the next 3 months changed my mind to RNY
3/15/2009--Immersion Day--many required appts in one day
3/09-6/09  the rest of my nutritionist,physician and required 'group' meetings, which were awesome
7/09 consult with Dr. Julie Kim
9/24/09--RNY!!

I had an original surgery date of mid-august but had some insurance snags so it dragged the process out a little.  At the time, it seemed like the end of the world, but in reality everything went very quickly.  I adored all three surgeons at Tufts, and Dr. Kim is the most compassionate, smart woman and I just love her.  I got great care at the hospital after my surgery and was home in 48 hours. 

Ten months later and I have a whole new life.  I am doing things I never thought I'd do again--exercising (happily most of the time), running around with my kids, biking--jeez,even walking up the stairs of my house without huffing and puffing. 

We can answer any questions and give input every step of the way.  This board was my lifeline pre-surgery and after!

Michelle
241 first appt/232 surgery date/140 surgeon's goal/130 my goal/127.7 current weight~
Michelle  ~~~  241/233.6/118.6/125 Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal    
   a few pounds below goal right now!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views