Another Newbie

Genise G.
on 7/27/10 2:07 am - Jamaica Plain, MA
Hello!

I just wanted to post and say hello.  I'm trying to quickly gather as much info as I can before my 8/23 bypass surgery.  I was originally scheduled for a band but I'm no longer a good candidate.  My only option left is the bypass.  I'm no longer willing to continue living this way so I'm going to take it.

I've lurked around OH for a bit but spent most of my time at lapbandtalk.com.  Now I feel a bit behind the 8 ball in terms of knowledge.  I research everything to death so that is why I feel that way.  I know the basics about the surgery but I'm looking for real life experience.  So please feel free to share or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
genisegibbs.blogspot.com/
Please check out my blog!

LisaBC86
on 7/27/10 3:25 am - Bridgewater, MA
Welcome ! Not sure what info. that you are looking for but I'll give you a quick review of mine.  Was very happy with my life and was doing well - became diabetic - lost a little gained more. Diabetes became out of control so I decided to look into the RNY. Had my surgery on April 13, 2009 my weight the night before surgery was 263 (had lost 14 lbs. since starting the process). Today a little of 15 months later - I weigh 144 lbs. and have been off diabetes medication almost since the day of surgery.

I would like to mention that there is definately a period that lots of people go through where they question what they did - very emotional time - but it's generally very short - you'll get through it. Most people I've come in contact with are very happy with their choice. I run a support group in Bridgewater - you'll meet lots of the members on here I'm sure - and have heard many stories - some people have had complications - they are real and do happen but most of them are happy with what they had done.

Ask lots of questions - vent when you need to - it's a great board and will offer much support !

Good luck !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Merrie60
on 7/27/10 7:51 am
Hi,

I am so weak and just asking my self why I did this....  I know it will get better but when. I cannot drive or go back to work as I am too weak.  Not what I imagined.  How long did it tak you to feel better?

Merrie
RedSox15
on 7/27/10 4:27 am - MA
Hi Genise! Welcome aboard to the MA forum! LOTS of great people and advice here. PLEASE hit us up with any questions/concerns!

I also wanted to do the lapband but after my first appointment I knew it wouldn't be the right choice for me. I am very happy with my decision and couldn't be happier! What Lisa said was great - there are definitely times we have buyer's remorse, but in the end it is so worth it!!

Welcome
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Kathy V.
on 7/27/10 5:14 am - MA
Gensie,

I was a lapband person all the way and my surgeon talked to me a month before the surgery and felt I was a better canditate for the bypass.  He gave me alot of info to sleep on and 24 hours I called back and switched to the bypass.  BEST decision I/he ever made. 

Ask any questions you want.  I won't bore you all with my long story.  I started at 298 and now, 18 months later I weigh 155.  I don't think a band could ever do that.  I still am trying to lose 10 more pounds..........

Best of Luck !!!

.....kathy   

C J
on 7/29/10 11:05 am - Franklin, MA

Genise - good luck with your upcoming surgery --- it'll be here before ya know it!

I'm still pre-op for revision from LapBand to bypass... I expect it to be quite different from my lapband experience.  Research is good but don't freak yourself out wondering if you've learned enough, we'll have a lifetime to figure this out. To rely on other peoples experience is semi-unrealistic, you'll have to pave your own path to success... we all do.   Everyone/Every body is different.

If only I knew then what I know now... 

I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

Jojeki
on 8/1/10 6:47 am - Fall River, MA
On July 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM Pacific Time, Genise G. wrote:
Hello!

I just wanted to post and say hello.  I'm trying to quickly gather as much info as I can before my 8/23 bypass surgery.  I was originally scheduled for a band but I'm no longer a good candidate.  My only option left is the bypass.  I'm no longer willing to continue living this way so I'm going to take it.

I've lurked around OH for a bit but spent most of my time at lapbandtalk.com.  Now I feel a bit behind the 8 ball in terms of knowledge.  I research everything to death so that is why I feel that way.  I know the basics about the surgery but I'm looking for real life experience.  So please feel free to share or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Welcome.

I was a lurker too and have recently started posting as well.  My RNY is scheduled with Dr. Lautz for 9/14/10 and I too have researched alot and have found the "real life" experiences to be beneficial as no two people are alike.  Also not everyone is text book and as much as you read on other medicals sites, etc. you don't get the true stories of what happens.

With any surgery you do there are going to be scenarios that can pop up and I am happy to be able to reach out and email someone to ask more details of what happened, what how to avoid something or ask for advise when they say that something works for them.  Don't be afraid to email someone and ask more, it has made me feel more comfortable in my decision to do the RNY.

Dawn

HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views