?How much is in my Realize

talli01
on 7/23/10 4:19 am - Leominster, MA
I had a Realize band on 01/19/10 and have had 5 band fills.  At the last fill on 07/21/10 I asked how many ccs were in the band.  He could only aspirate 4.5 ccs.  So he told me I had anywhere from 4.5 to 9 ccs.  He didn't seem concerned.  He didn't mention a leak and told me to come back in 4 weeks.  I have only felt a restriction a few times.  Has anyone had this experience??
Lynn C
on 7/23/10 1:06 pm
I didn't have the realize band I had the original version but from what I understand the realize has a chambered inside ring - the band I have is one long hollow tube while yours has chambers. This design was though to put less pressure on the stomach but can make it difficult to remove all of the saline in a single attempt. It hides out in the different sections.

Try to focus more on how you feel than the number of CCs.

Good luck!!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

talli01
on 7/25/10 10:24 pm - Leominster, MA
Thanks, I guess I assumed that he would know that since he is the surgeon.  I don't feel any real restriction.  I have probably only had 5-6 times when I felt like I had to stop eating.  I have never felt a restriction with fluids.  I thought that I would really be on the road to weight loss 6 months post op.  I opted for the band when all of my friends had the RNY.  It makes me feel stupid.  I thought the band would be effective but safer. 

Linda T
Lynn C
on 7/26/10 1:36 am
He should know how much he put in but there are lots of factors involved in "feeling" restrctions. First - you should never feel restricted drinking liquids - if you do you're to tight and need to see you doctor right away.

Second - restriction isn't the "inablility to eat" - restriction doesn't say "stop now you've eaten enough" what restriction does is when you are finished eating your measured portion of food you no longer feel hungry. The band will not stop you from eating more (if you use it this way you will end up with problems down the road). The band is there to allow for a feeling of "gee I'm not physically hungry" - gone are the days of feeling "full" or stuffed, what you're looking for in not hungry and to do that you need to know the difference between "I'm content" and my head wants to eat more. Its a hard lesson to learn.

As far as band vs. RNY - Your friends are losing quickly now but in 18 months the intestinal portion of the RNY becomes ineffective and they are left with a non adjustable restrictive procedure (plus vitamin & mineral issues). If you friends have not learned how to eat until they are "not hungry" instead of listening to their heads that want to eat more they will start to put weight back on at the 2 years mark.  You're going to lose slower, just a fact of the band, but it gives your more time to lear how to eat (something all WLS patients need to learn)

Good luck.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views