newbie : 11 days from surgery (yikes!)

MK M.
on 7/23/10 12:49 pm - Natick, MA
hey all - yet another new gal here, and after being up last night until 3am reading the forum, i feel like i know some of you already! i figured there was no time like the present to quit lurking and share my totally long-winded introduction.

i'm 33 - married (no kiddos yet) - living in natick and grew up just a few towns over. i'm a former educator turned portrait & wedding photographer with my own business, and oh yea... i'm 11 days from surgery! (7.3.10 with dr. tarnoff)

my process has been super quick compared to some folks, i think. my initial appointment was in may; i went through the tufts immersion day and follow-up appointments by mid-june, when i got my surgery date of august 3rd. i've been busting my butt losing the pre-surgery weight - 5 lbs to go before i reach my target 10% - and it's been a whirlwind, to say the least.

i initially went to tufts-nemc on the recommendation of an uncle who's a physician there. i'm sure my story is similar to many: i was an athlete and a dancer as a kid, and when i wasn't as physically active during college, i started to gain. through grad school and working ridiculous hours and getting married ...and bla bla bla... years passed, and i just could never seem to get a handle on it. i've lost and regained ~100 pounds - twice - and it's pretty clear that surgery is the tool i need to maintain the weight loss long term.

surgery wasn't even on the radar in my mind when i first went to tufts - i thought i'd join their medically supervised weight loss program, but within 15 minutes of my first appointment, that idea was out the window and i knew the RNY was going to be my best option for long term success. i had all of my pre-op jazz today and i'm ready to go.

so phew! (told you it'd be long-winded)

last night was my first panicked moment of "holy heck! what on earth am i doing?! this is a huge mistake! aaaaaahhhh!!!" so i started reading here, and it was just what i needed to calm down and put things in perspective.

so, thanks!

i look forward to becoming an active member of the community as i continue on my journey - and i can't wait to get to know you all better.

xoxo
MK
highest weight: 331 (may 2010)   |   current weight: 304   |   surgery date: august 3, 2010

do not dare to live without some clear intention toward which your living shall be bent.
                   mean to be something with all your might. ~phillips brooks

HutchBiorn
on 7/24/10 1:44 am - West Springfield, MA
Not so long winded... seen worst. :P So HIYA! Welcome. Name is Hutch. I'm  3 days post op.. I think that's what ya call it after surgery. Oddly enough, my stomach is fine other than feeling like I gotta bup. :P It's my back that is killing me. Go figure! Get my gut split open and the back hurts. LOL! Always said I was assbackards. lol. So, Ya got yers coming up soon. Good luck to ya hun. If ya need to talk, vent or what ever...this is a great place to do it. There's a lot of nice people here ready and willing to listen and some even go back at ya. :P
Starting weight 309

Don't try to confuse me, I was born this way.

MK M.
on 7/24/10 5:23 am, edited 7/24/10 5:23 am - Natick, MA
thanks for the warm welcome, hutch. i'm glad to see (at least stomach-wise) you're recuperating nicely! can't wait to hear your reactions as you continue to lose.
HutchBiorn
on 7/24/10 6:06 am - West Springfield, MA
Yer quite welcome. I know this place has been a real safe haven for me in my journey. I can come here and **** and moan all I want and never get backlash out of it. These folks is nothing but completely supportive and understanding. Wish i could get this from my own family...but oh well. I will be sure to keep everyone updated as to the journey into my new life.

Finally able to burp now...lol. Sure feels better in the tummy. Though I can tell there's mor to come. :P

Starting weight 309

Don't try to confuse me, I was born this way.

RedSox15
on 7/24/10 7:18 am - MA
Hi MK! Fellow Tufts gal here! Amazing program ya got yourself into! Agree with Hutch - this board is great, stick around and you'll find out Let us know if you have any questions about ANYTHING!! Everyone is here to help. Congrats and best of luck on your surgery!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

MK M.
on 7/24/10 9:12 am - Natick, MA
many thanks. your pictures absolutely blow me away - you're just stunning!
highest weight: 331 (may 2010)   |   current weight: 304   |   surgery date: august 3, 2010

do not dare to live without some clear intention toward which your living shall be bent.

LisaBC86
on 7/25/10 9:48 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Hi and welcome! Ditto to what Kate and Hutch said - it is a great board.

Please know that your are going to have more "what the hell am i doing ./ did I do " moments - but they are fleeting and you will be happy !

Best of luck on the 3rd - keep us informed !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
MK M.
on 7/27/10 9:46 am - Natick, MA
oops! sorry to have missed your reply, lisa - and i really appreciate the vote of confidence!

Sue M.
on 7/26/10 2:55 am - Nantucket, MA
Welcome to our wild and wacky crew.  We're some good people, and there are plenty of Tufts folks around to talk to.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, and always feel free to ask questions of anyone and everyone. 

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
MK M.
on 7/27/10 9:44 am - Natick, MA
thanks, sue! just a week away now and i'm sure there are a million questions i should have - they're all a blur. i'm definitely still having the "i hope i don't wake up and regret this" thoughts, and just reading all of your posts help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views