New Here !

BelieveNH
on 7/20/10 12:07 pm
Hi !   I am new to the website/message board.  Started the process not long ago and have just recently been given my RNY date.  9/13/10.   I have attempted the process a few years back only to pass it up because of nerves.   I am set to do it this time but I have to admit,  I am terrified.  I really want /need this but again am terrified.  I have two little ones at home which is probably the main reason for my fears.  

If anyone can shed some light on how they battled their fears w/having the surgery, I would love to hear them.  Anything can help at this point !!

Oh, and lastly, I am trying to get some ideas on what seems to be the best tasting protein drink as right now I am not having any luck w/the ones I have tried.

Thanks !!!
All things are possible when you believe        
Mara C.
on 7/21/10 3:15 am - Millbury, MA
Hi there & welcome,

Your fear of the unknown is what we all go through I think.  I also have a small child and she was really my reason TO go through with it.  Just try to relax and think of the reasons why you are doing this and that will help you stay focused.  I felt my risks of "not" having WLS were higher than if I did have it.  I am so happy I did it.  I was wearing a size 22 last year this time, and today I am wearing a 10!  My life and families is changed forever, and your will too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot you go through in the beginning that is pretty "not so much fun", but I can tell you it's worth it.  I am still and forever will be working hard at keeping old habits from coming back, and learning how to eat "normally".  But, for me to be able to run up stairs or after my daughter and not be huffing and puffing and so other many wonderful differences I've gone through, make it all worth it. 

You will take it as it comes and do the best you can!  Keep us posted on your progress!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
sunjoymom
on 7/21/10 4:22 am, edited 7/21/10 4:22 am - Worcester, MA
Hi there! I don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm going to see the surgeon in 2 weeks  :)  

But I wanted to tell you that I looked into this surgery years ago and also backed out because I was terrified. I think I wasn't mentally ready either. So now, more than ever, I'm ready and prepared for this and can't wait.

Sure it's going to be a tough road, but just think, next summer you'll do so much more with your little ones and enjoy doing activities that you never done before because your self esteem will fly through the roof :)  

~ Tania 

Highest 324 / Surgery 305 /Goal 165 / Current 172 

BelieveNH
on 7/28/10 4:18 am
Boy, that makes me feel better !  Thank you.   Well,  I hope you get your date soon as well.   I have about 6 weeks prior to the date.  Everyday I feel differently.  One day  I'm all for it and then the next I'm panicking that the date is coming so quickly !  I'm a nut.  I am ready,  but really scared.  I can so see myself afterwards being much happier and having so much more energy to do all the things I want to w/the boys !

Thanks again for the message !
Jojeki
on 8/2/10 10:18 am - Fall River, MA
On July 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM Pacific Time, BelieveNH wrote:
Boy, that makes me feel better !  Thank you.   Well,  I hope you get your date soon as well.   I have about 6 weeks prior to the date.  Everyday I feel differently.  One day  I'm all for it and then the next I'm panicking that the date is coming so quickly !  I'm a nut.  I am ready,  but really scared.  I can so see myself afterwards being much happier and having so much more energy to do all the things I want to w/the boys !

Thanks again for the message !
That is kind of how I have been feeling lately, all in or panicking.  Some days I look in the mirror after having those second thought days and see myself as I am now at this weight and I think positive about the surgery and other days I wonder if I can just diet and exercise and slim down that way. 

If diet and exercise alone would work I would do it but it doesn't work for me, like most, I lose it and it finds me.  Stay strong, we are close in surgery dates and need to be each others cheerleader LOL
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

DwindlingFlower
on 7/21/10 5:52 am - Quincy, MA

As far as the fear goes... I just told myself that the risk was worth it... what were the chances of me dying from the obesity and/or obesity related illnesses and how would my quality of life really be, versus risks of complications and/or death from the surgery....  they both have risks but I felt that doing nothing and not having surgery was far far worse. Its the best decision I ever made for myself and I dont know anyone who says they regret it.

As far as the protein goes... EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.  My favs are Click (mocha and vanilla latte flavor) you can only buy it online, BSN Lean Dessert, I have cinnamon roll, banana nut bread and chocolate coconut candy bar, I also get a reg vanilla and choc of Pure Protein from walmart/roche bros/ stop and shop/target they all have it. and I mix up flavors and add fruit or sugar free flavor syrups so I dont get bored.

hope that helps

DwindlingFlower

BelieveNH
on 7/28/10 4:21 am
That does,  thank you for all the ideas w/the shakes.  I will have to try them all !!!  Can you put 1 fozen strawberry or a small piece of banana in the blender witth the protein drink for flavor when you come home from the hospital?  Is that acceptable?
DwindlingFlower
on 7/31/10 7:36 am - Quincy, MA
you can absolutely put any kind of fruit you want... just try it, sometimes it may work, sometimes you might get an upset pouch, you just gotta watch the sugar content... and the fruit has natural sugar, but you need to experiment and find what works for you!!

DwindlingFlower

MK M.
on 7/23/10 9:32 am - Natick, MA
no great advice, since i'm new here myself and am gearing up for surgery in a week and a half - but i just wanted to share my support.

to combat the fear, maybe try making a list of all the positive changes surgery will bring to your life. keep it close and when that fear rears its ugly head, take time to read it and reflect on how amazing it will be to have those elements in your life.

best of luck - i'm excited to hear how things go for you!
MK

BelieveNH
on 7/28/10 4:22 am
Thanks,  I appreciate it.  Good luck w/your surgery !!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views