Tummy tuck surgery

cdnov26
on 7/18/10 12:00 pm - MA
Has anyone had tummy tuck surgery that was covered by insurance?  Want to know how you got it approved, etc.  I think I am going to have problems getting it covered with my particular insurance.

Lynn C
on 7/18/10 10:38 pm
"most" insurance companies will cover Panni Removal (not a tummy tuck) if you meet very specific requirements. Your best bet is to contact the insurance company and ask. They normally require at least 6 months of dr documented skin problems that do not resolve with multiple treatment (have your doctor document everything with pics to).  The panni must be a certain size, hang down to a certain point, etc. It really depends on your policy.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Just Brooke
on 7/18/10 11:20 pm, edited 7/18/10 11:21 pm
Yeah, what Lynn said. I've attended enough plastic surgery seminars ...she's right. Insurance just doesn't cover a tummy tuck. You can document any amounts of rashes, etc ...if they don't cover it, than they don't cover it.

A panniculectomy is different. The difference between the 2 is a tummy tuck is cosmetic, a panniculectomy is not. With a panni ...the plastic surgeon takes your "apron" of skin hanging over...whatever he/she can grab from one point to another ...that is what will be removed. There is no "tucking" or making look pretty with that surgery. With a tummy tuck ...they take all the extra skin, staple the muscles underneath, and pull everything up (or down I guess) and make it look pretty for you.

I did have a panniculectomy and the process was easy! The plastic surgeon I chose had been at our weight loss center and did a seminar. I went in to talk about a tummy tuck. She looked at my insurance and said "your insurance doesn't cover a tummy tuck for ANYONE" ...and then we went over a panniculectomy. She asked if there was any rashes and I said "yeah, from time to time, and the smell is bad sometimes" ..and that was what she submitted to the insurance along with pictures she took. 6 weeks later and I had the surgery.

Your best bet? Either call your insurance OR make a consultation appointment. They deal with insurance companies day in and day out ...they can at least give you an idea about what will be covered.

DwindlingFlower
on 7/18/10 11:46 pm - Quincy, MA
I tried for almost two years to get my insurance to cover it, even with documentation from my PCP of rashes and infections and they wouldnt budge, eventually my husband and I took the money out of our retirement and I had it done, I dont regret a thing!!

DwindlingFlower

Cindy M.
on 7/19/10 10:28 am - Sterling, MA

I had mine covered by insurance because I had a hernia repair at the same time.  The doctor had to submit the pics etc. and it was only going to be 1000.00 more along with the hernia repair.  Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views