I am miserable

crteacher
on 7/18/10 5:29 am - Salem, NH
My surgery to convert from LAP to RNY was Monday.  I was in the hospital till Friday due to some swelling.  Now I am home and on the liquid diet until Friday the 23 and I am miserable!!  I want to chew someting even if it is just mashed potatos.  I am sick of sugar free cool aid and my one stupid protein shake.  I have a friend who had RNY and his liquids were a week and then soft foods the week after and now he is trying out regular food.  I am not outside walking the way I should be becasue I feel like crap and it has been above 90 degrees for days now.  I question this more every day..
Candice  Revision to RNY 7/12/10
Wife to David
Mom to Lindsay and Zackary and Lauren

RedSox15
on 7/18/10 9:03 am - MA
Ugh - the liquid stage is the worst .. blech!  It will go by faster than you know it and pretty soon you won't be regretting anything :)  Maybe try some new shakes?  I've recently gotten back into drinking them after not drinking them for about 6 months.  Try this Neopolitian one .. I find it super yummy!

8 oz fat free milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 2 tbsp fat free/sugar free vanilla instant jello (helps to thicken)
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
handul frozen strawberries
*blend for 2 minutes THEN add ice ... nice and thick and super yummy!

We are here for you if you need us
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Sue M.
on 7/18/10 11:38 am - Nantucket, MA
How about some sugar free popsicles?

The early  part is hard, but the reality is, you had major surgery, it's tough recovering.  but you WILL, and it will be worth it.  Walk around inside if you can, and just keep trying to do the next right thing.  You'll be feeling better soon!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
LisaBC86
on 7/18/10 6:58 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Ditto to what Kate and Sue recommended !

Just hang in there - it's hard we know - but it does go by and you WILL be ok !

The heat doesn't help anything !

Lisa

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Lynn C
on 7/18/10 10:29 pm
I found chicken broth and beef broth to be my saving grace during liquids - it was a nice break from all the sweet stuff. If you close your eyes while drinking the beef broth you can pretend its steak!! 

Good luck - it will be over soon.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Just Brooke
on 7/18/10 11:44 pm
GET JELLO!!!!!!!!! And chew it :) Yes, you can have Jello ..it counts as a liquid, but since it feels solid in your mouth ..give it a try. So many flavors too!! 

You can also have sugar free popsicles and broth.

DwindlingFlower
on 7/18/10 11:45 pm - Quincy, MA
I concur with everyone else so far.... trust us, we have been there... but one of my things to this day is making sure I dont get "sick and tired" of my protein shakes, I make it a point to have as many different flavor combinations as I can to jazz things up and I am always looking for new ones. If you need suggestions or help, let us know, that recipe Kate gave you sounds good, I gotta try that one. I too am a band to bypass revision. If you need support just let us know.

DwindlingFlower

Mara C.
on 7/19/10 2:31 am - Millbury, MA
The first few weeks are AWFUL....but we all had to go through it and you CAN too!  Hang in and do everything you should be doing.  As soon as you can move on to soft foods and real foods you will gain back more energy and feel more normal.  Just remember in the scheme of your life, this is a tiny amount of time.  You will get through this and it will be worth it. 
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
jugilber
on 7/19/10 5:13 pm - MA
Sorry to say been there...and it sucks...BUT....it DOES get better.  I agree with flower, get different flavor shake...go online at click and chike...they will both send free samples...and GNC has a satisfaction guarentee if you dont like it....return it...
I like a vanilla shake and I brew with mu keurig decaf coffee and make a tasty latte...or I mix a vanilla shake with some flavor SF pudding...my favorite is butterscotch...try to get a small walk in early in the am when it is cooler out...but just walk around the house...just keep moving...no matter how little it is!!!
Hope you feel better...IT DOES GET BETTER!!! (i know when I was there i was like yeah sure!!!)
hang in there
julie

disneyelf10
on 7/23/10 9:57 am - Lynn, MA
Candace, just checking in to see how you are doing?  Hope all is well!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views