My First Unusual Post-op Day

MommyosaRose
on 7/12/10 2:05 pm
It has been a while since I have posted any topics but today I felt the need to do so because of what I experienced throughout the day.

My day didn't start very well as I woke up late and had to rush through my morning routine in order to be at work on time. Needless to say that my breakfast wasn't what it should be; a quick Carnation NSA shake.  Once I got to work several accounts had unexpected problems and I stressed all day to correct them, which I did, but lunch wasn't what it usually is either; 1 package of tuna with FF mayo. After work the day didn't get any better... I had such a headache that it felt like my head was going to explode! I was in bed and asleep by 6PM. 

I could have made a protein shake but my blender (which I used to make my shake in the AM) was still in the sink waiting to be washed (I couldn't even hold my head up long enough to wa****) and the fact that I need to go grocery shopping (really, REALLY bad) didn't leave me with much to choose from to eat. So, because I didn't cook supper, my poor family had whatever leftover was in the fridge and I just ate any protein I could find; goat cheese with crackers and peanuts.

To make a long story short,  today I experienced situations that made it difficult to stay on track with my food intake. Pre-op this would not have been such a problem as anything would have been fine for a meal replacement as long as I ate until I was full...chips, cookies, chocolate candy bar, cereal...whatever I could find in the house to eat. However, post-op those choices didn't even cross my mind. My first thought was what protein do I have to eat and how much protein will it give me?  

My point is...this surgery was a decision I made to improve my health and my lifestyle and so far it has done so! I am healthier, lighter, more active and energetic, more alive than before. So many people are afraid of the risks of WLS that they might feel discouraged to go through with it, and while IT IS scary, (to me) my future pre-op was a lot scarier! I felt so good about my RNY choice and myself today that I would do it all over again if I needed to. 

Now that I slept my headache off and I feel better I am making myself a good protein shake and hopefully will be able to fall asleep soon...I don't want to wake up late again tomorrow.

Good night my fellow RNY friends...enjoy your week!
Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

AwesomeForever
on 7/12/10 3:21 pm - Marlborough, MA
When I was working, I had to make my meals the night before or I was introuble in the morning. If I got out of bed on time, I would prepare two lunches with snacks for my husband and I. His was easier to make. He can eat sandwiches. I could give him a casserole to heat in microwave at work and a salad.  He always hard boiled the eggs for my salads. I would cut up the leftover meat and put it in snack bags. If I had the energy, I would divide up the grapes or blueberries into snack bags the night before also. It was then easier to grab a bag of fruit, a yogurt, some almonds in a snack bag, and of course the water. Yes, my water outweighed my lunch by tenfold.
I am two and a half years post op from rny surgery. I pretty much make a casserole, soup, or lasagna for my husband to munch on. He gets home at 5 now. It is generally ready to eat! I will make a salad and have that on the table so he can start with it.
Getting back to you. I think this hint might help in the mornings. It was easier if I stocked my fridge with go to protein and protein shakes in the rtd containers. I know that is expensive. I was a procrastinator. I liked to sleep longer. Oh, and I loved to just grab and go.
I still have some rtd cans that I can reach in and grab when I am heading out to church on a Sunday morning.
Linda
MommyosaRose
on 7/13/10 9:30 pm

Hi Linda,

I usually do have more than enough time to plan and ready my day's meals and snacks but you gave me some great ideas that I think I will implement into my routine. Thank you so much!

Blessings,
Rose

RedSox15
on 7/14/10 12:27 am - MA
It is so hard sometimes to get in the right food as work if it's been a stressful day!! From what you wrote it looks like you made some good choices (the shake, tuna and ff mayo.) You didn't reach for the cake, cookies and chips and you were thinking of protein first so pat yourself on the back for that and keep up the good work
MommyosaRose
on 7/14/10 11:52 am
Protein first has become second nature to me...at this point I don't find the decisions hard to make; hopefully that won't change much in the future!  
Thanks for the comment!
Rose

RedSox15
on 7/14/10 12:50 pm - MA
I hear ya on the protein first thing ... never in my life can I find protein so quick on a nutritional label!!! hahaha
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views