Lap Band to RNY revision next week

crteacher
on 7/3/10 11:38 pm - Salem, NH
I got my band in July 2006 and from the beginning it was not right.  I had to have it so tight to lose weight that eating was downright painful and on top of that I was a slow loser.  I got pregnant with my third baby and gained some weight. After having her the doctor and I started with fills again.  Sadly something now was really amiss. I was either not able to eat at all or was eating but having horrible gastric reflux at night. I spent much time with my doctor and she suggested revision.  I am petrified of gastric bypass so I said I wanted to keep trying with the band.  She suggested 6 months working with the band and then we would talk. Well here I am.  They could not get the awful reflux to stop so I finally decided that I was going to go with the revision.  I have to have my band out, a hernia fixed and the bypass.  I start a weeklong liquid diet tomorrow.  I have been doing liquids and one meal for the last 3 days.
I am terrified of the surgery itself but also at failing. Even though my doctor told me that from the beginning my lap band wasn't working with my body I still feel like I failed and I am afraid I will have this surgery and fail again...
Candice  Revision to RNY 7/12/10
Wife to David
Mom to Lindsay and Zackary and Lauren

RedSox15
on 7/4/10 1:32 am - MA
Best of luck on your revision! You will do absolutely fine with the bypass I know it Sometimes it is simply the BAND that fails, NOT the patient!
DwindlingFlower
on 7/4/10 5:10 am - Quincy, MA

I myself am a band to bypass revision patient, now almost 8 months out from my revision and things are great,  I know how you feel thinking you failed but really, if the tool isnt working properly how can you truly fail.  I have absolutely no regrets and am totally thrilled that I have my bypass as a tool.  If you have any questions, feel free.... just message me, there are a few of us revisions in the mass forum

DwindlingFlower

crteacher
on 7/4/10 1:32 pm - Salem, NH
Thanks! I am looking for all the support I can get. I just want to do this, have no complications and then do it for life. I don't want to go back.
Candice  Revision to RNY 7/12/10
Wife to David
Mom to Lindsay and Zackary and Lauren

Lynn C
on 7/4/10 10:39 pm
Hi, I had a very different experience with the band but still ended up needing a revision. The first 3 years banded were pretty good. I lost 90+lbs and had very few problems. Year 4 I gained so I had a fill and that is when the problems started - reflux, food intolerance, etc. Had an Upper GI and found out that the pouch had dilated.

I will be revising to the VSG in Sept and I'm really excited. Its just like the band but without the uncertainty - will I be tight today, can I eat XYZ today, etc.

Its not always the patient, the band just doesn't work for some and studies are now showing that the longer you have the band the more likely a complication will occur.

You'll do great with the RNY - Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views