Hair problems / loss after surgery?

Jojeki
on 6/27/10 10:01 am - Fall River, MA

One of the things I read about is after surgery there can be problems with your hair which can also include hair loss.  I read somewhere else to avoid hair treatments such as coloring, perms, etc.

I was curious about this because I usually get my roots done and a few highlights about 4 times a year.  I am going next weekend and was planning by the end of august again.  Do you think I should skip the August or do it and just hold off after surgery for a while?

If I do hold off until after surgery, how long would you recommend.  I have no problems letting my hair color get funky for the sake of keeping it on my head LOL, but I just wanted to find out now in case I should just do something totally different when I go next weekend.

Any suggestions on what causes the hair problems / loss and what you can do to minimize it?

Thanks for your help. 

HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

pjaschic
on 6/27/10 6:29 pm - Middleboro, MA

I know that lack of protein can cause hair loss. I was also looking that up myself and found a great article on http://ezinearticles.com/?Gastric-Bypass-Causes-Hair-Loss:-C an-It-Be-Avoided?&id=34751 It even suggests a supplement to help prevent and restore hair loss. Another great site is http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/09/19/the-latest-on-nutrition -and-hair-loss-in-the-bariatric-patient/

I hope this helps but I can't answer your question about getting yor hair done. I was thinking about getting mine done in the next few weeks. But now that you brought that up I am going to ask my Dr. tommorow at my appt. I will let you know. Although I think the nutritionist is probably the one who would know.

Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
Jojeki
on 6/28/10 9:28 am - Fall River, MA
Thanks your reply I'll take a look at the links you sent to see what they say. 

Sue M.
on 6/27/10 11:38 pm - Nantucket, MA
My answer is unscientific, but rather what I've learned on these boards in 2+ years of reading.

There is NOTHING you can do to stop hair loss after surgery.  It is a reaction to the surgery itself, NOT your nutrition.  It does not happen to everyone, and some have it worse than others. You can optimize it's REGROWTH by taking extra biotin and making sure you hit your protein goals.  Bear in mind, the regrowth will not be specific to your head.  I have enjoyed a lovely regrowth of hair on my *****worse than before), and eyebrows that never needed plucking are now getting waxed.  Thanks, protein! 

Go on and color your hair.  it will make your strands appear thicker, so if you do thin out a bit, at least your hair will be thicker. 

I cut my hair short at 3 months out because the longer strands coming out were depressing and the short hair was less noticeable.  It's growing back fine (and curly - also strange) and I never experienced any loss that was noticeable to anyone but me and my hairdresser.

Short answer - do what makes you feel good.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Jojeki
on 6/28/10 9:31 am - Fall River, MA
I will definitely add Biotin to my shopping list of supplements to purchase.  Thanks for the reply.

Just Brooke
on 6/27/10 11:46 pm
Any major surgery can cause hair loss after! Keeping up with protein will help.

With that said ...mine only thinned out. So I cut it short. And it's thicker again. And I've been coloring mine all along ...but I was told if I was concerned to get a color done before surgery.

Jojeki
on 6/28/10 9:30 am - Fall River, MA
My hair is half way down my back and I think I am going to make the decision to cut it to shoulder length just for less maintenance.  Thanks for your reply.

pjaschic
on 6/28/10 6:27 pm - Middleboro, MA
Ok I went to see my Dr. today, at the Brigham, which isn't saying much. I really advise you to go somewhere else!!!!!!!!  But the Dr. said just having the surgery will cause hair loss. It is a response to lack of nutrition, which is why you must take supplements and get enough protein. He said these help but will not stop it completely. He was very surprised I haven't noticed any hair loss at 6 weeks out and said that was a good thing. But who can beleive anything the Brigham says.
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
whatachief
on 6/30/10 11:19 am
My endocrinologist advised me to take zinc.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views