MA General or Tufts programs

MrsClaus09
on 6/23/10 12:09 pm
Have any of you gone through either the MA General or Tufts bariatric programs?  Likes, dislikes, rants, raves, surgeon recs?  I have been approved for VSG and know that MA General does it (& pretty sure Tufts does as well) but I had been planning on BIDMC so both these hospitals are new to me. 

Thanks, in advance, for any info you can share!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
RedSox15
on 6/23/10 12:29 pm - MA
I can't say enough great things about Tufts.  Dr. Shikora is simply amazing and there is no one better than him out there.  ALL of the Boston hospitals are great so I suggest maybe going to a few different programs and getting a feel for them.  Tufts is GREAT on their post-op care and they are really there for you.  The nutritionists and medical doctors are great and so is the office staff (minus Tania, who has a bad reputation! lol)

If you have any questions feel free to message me!!!

TUFTS =     
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

judex
on 6/25/10 7:45 am
 I had my Lap RNY done last June at MGH by Dr. Janey Pratt. Fantastic surgeon. I had a lap band she had to remove at the same time she did the RNY.
Lap band did not work for me nor did the surgeon I had from B&W who worked at Faulkner. (he's gone now)

Anyway, I strongly do recommend the MGH program.

jude
 Hi there -- Welcome and best wishes in your search.  I'd love to know how you got appoved for VSG prior to being involved in a program!  What kind of insurance to you have and how did you approach them?

Thanks so much!

B.
 Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

MrsClaus09
on 6/25/10 10:57 am
Thanks everyone!  letitbe - I've already been through the BIDMC program(I entered the program because they offer VSG as a WLS choice)  but my ins co (Fallon) will not cover that hospital.  They do, however, cover the VSG as a stand-alone WLS procedure.  :)
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

Lynn C
on 6/25/10 11:44 am
Cant help with Tufts or MA General - I'm a BIDMC girl (they're great except for the occasional office staff that has his/her head in the clouds but the surgical team is top notch). I think that the big hospitals in Boston all pretty much have wonderful doctors and programs.

Good luck!!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

MrsClaus09
on 6/25/10 12:19 pm

Oh Lynn....I know just how wonderful BIDMC is.  They were my family for 5 months and I SO wanted Dr Jones to do my surgery.  I had completed the entire program with them and had planned to meet with Dr Jones when I was shot down. I'm hoping that I have a choice of insurance cos later this year and end up with one that will let me finish the program by having surgery w/ Dr Jones.  Hopefully.

Anyway, thanks and congrats to you!! :)

"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

pinkruby
on 6/26/10 11:59 pm
I had my surgery at the end of Feb with Dr. Shikora at Tufts. Very happy with the program and all the professionals and office staff....well not Tania. She is the one who handles the paperwork/approval process with your insurance company. Not a fan of her and I believe other people have also had issues with her. But overall I am very happy that I chose this program!
ThinBy2011
on 6/27/10 9:54 am
I too had Janey Pratt at MGH Weight Center.  Love, love, love the program, the staff and most of all my surgeon.  I can't say enough good things about the program at MGH!!
SarahF
on 7/4/10 5:19 am - Braintree, MA
I also had my surgery at MGH's Weight Center.  My surgeon was Dr. Matthew Hutter.  He was and is amazing.  Very dedication and informative in what he does.  I had the RNY.  My aunt (same surgeon) had the lap band.  A really great program which continues after you have the surgery.  They truely want you to succeed.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views