Pre Op/Post Op Diet at NWH

Hi there -- Will someone who had Dr Partridge (or anyone else, assuming they all Rx the same 
plan) PM me to let me know what the pre-post op diets are?  I have my first support meeting this Tuesday, one more at the end of June, then I meet w/ Dr P!  

Thanks!
 Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

Sue M.
on 6/14/10 10:00 am - Nantucket, MA
There was no pre-op diet.

post op was 4 weeks of puree and then you graduate to other foods as comfortable.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
 Thanks Sue - this sounds like the right program for me!  First group meeting tomorrow! :-)
 Lucy van Pelt 

Weighfaring
on 6/17/10 12:07 pm - Westwood, MA
 I was there too!
Highest Weight: 335, Pre Surgery: 313, Surgery on 11/9/09

pjaschic
on 6/14/10 5:08 pm - Middleboro, MA
The Dr.'s office can give you the packet and then you can start going over it and coming up with meal plans and such. I found it helpful to plan in advance. Good luck.
Program start weight 265  Pre-op weight 234                
Bostonbabs
on 6/15/10 4:36 am

They will want to see you are making adjusmtments to your diet becaue it's the healthy thing to do, and to begin preparing yourself for the new eating habits after surgery (demonstrate you are prepared).  I beleive this is new; one week prior to surgery, you will go on a modified liquid diet, (protein shake for breaksfast, lunch, a Lean Cuisine for dinner, and  a few snacks thrown in)  Low fat to shrink the liver out of the way before surgery.

BW 257/SW 244/GW 150, HT 5'8"          
AwesomeForever
on 6/16/10 12:26 pm - Marlborough, MA
Dear letitbe:

It sounds like new plan for pre-op. I have met many people who had the liquid diets. I can say that each surgical practice takes into consideration what is best for their patients. I also know that when we grow on the outside we tend to force our inner body parts to grow. My feeling is that if Dr Partridge wants you to have a liquid diet it will only mean more success for you.

I had been losing all throughout 07 and was not given a pre-op liquid diet. I had seen on you tube that many are told to go on liquid diets including Optifast.

I asked the question  and later heard it answered at a support meeting that the four weeks post op on the puree diet was enough. So, it wasn't just me that was not place on a liquid pre-op diet.

I love this practice as they keep up with the times.

Also, just wanted you to know that my friends who both had surgeries at NWH had twin boys on June 10th. They are perfect. Her surgeon was Dr Partridge and his was Dr Gazmuri. They are three years out this summer.

Linda
MaeFB
on 6/17/10 1:03 pm - Townsend, MA
 BostonBabs is right, this is VERY new, I had surgery just a year ago and this wasn't in place. But they call it a one week 'bland' diet. It's not quite liquid and it's not very strict. My dad had surgery in May and he had to do it, but he did have dinner the night before. The night before there's just no ANYthing after 8 P.M. (When I went it was midnight, but they got more strict on that, too.)

This is all really interesting ... is it specific to the procedure?  Makes one wonder if the strict protocols are really necessary ... ?  Thanks everyone for being so responsive to all questions about
NWH!
 Lucy van Pelt 

kwhitten
on 6/22/10 8:16 am - Plymouth, MA
I had surgery at NWH in April and I had a one week pre-op diet to follow. It was a slim fast plan with eating one Lean Cuisine dinner at night with snacks as well. It was new in March at NWH. You will be fine. It is meant to help shrink your liver and get you adjusted to eating smaller meals and drinking some of them as well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views