still have an ulcer

eddiestigerbaby
on 5/28/10 10:42 am - East Wareham, MA
Hey everyone,
   Hope you are all doing well with your journey. Honestly I can say that I am happy with my decision to have gastric bypass and that I love the fact that I am only 15 pounds away from my goal. The one complication that I have had was I developed an ulcer 3 months ago. I was put on prilosec and carafate and I ended my 3 month dose. Well guess what? Pain started again and I ended up in the hospital today thinking it was my gallbladder. Thank God it wasn't but am a little bummed that this ulcer is still around. I really could use some support to get me through this hurdle. I am OK with doing another 3 month course of treatment but I am starting to get scared with the thought of coming off of the meds again. Don't think I can keep going through this pain. Thanks for letting me rant. Take care.
Tammy

Tammy Westgate    
jugilber
on 5/29/10 12:02 am - MA
 Hang in there Tammy...you are doing awesome....just muttle through with the yucky meds and hopfully you just needed a little longer to heal....remember lay off caffiene, acidy foods/drink...alcohol...those even in small amounts can cause major irritations in your little pouch...

hang in there...we will send good thoughts bounding your way...
julie

eddiestigerbaby
on 5/29/10 6:58 am - East Wareham, MA
Thanks for the support. That's the funny thing I don't have any caffiene, alcohol and I don't even smoke. I have done everything right and still got it. I don't do much with acidy foods or drinks, but I am wondering if the crystal light is doing it to me. I was told to try and only use half to lower the acidity. I am feeling a bit better today and hopefully time is all I need. Not looking forward to maybe havine to have a scope sent down my throat if not. I sat the last 24 hours asking myself if the bypass was worth this and even though I am a bit upset with this ulcer thing I have come to the conclusion that it is worth it. So my spirits are up a bit.

Tammy Westgate    
Susan M.
on 5/30/10 10:57 am - MA

Hi Tammy,

I had an ulcer too. I was taking Prilosec too but that wasn't working too well. The doc changed me to Protonix and it worked, my ulcer has completely healed.  I take it now as a preventative so the ulcer does not come back.  I no longer need carafate. 

:)
Susie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views