Silliest product in a long time.

M M
on 5/27/10 11:52 am

My Diet Dinnerware

Starting with? My Diet Dinnerware. Because, regardless of what I say, it will sell.  I guarantee you that from this post, people will RUN AND BUY THIS FLASHING FORK.  And, then come back and ask ME questions about it.  GUARANTEED.

I tried out this product last year at a Obesity Help Conference.  There were photos.  I cannot find the photos.  The salesmen took Bo away and had him play with forks.  I walked around with one for quite a while.

My Diet Dinnerwear 
 As you can see, it's a battery operated light up fork and spoon set that indicates to YOU, when it's OKAY to take a bite of food.  The flashing lights give you time to chew, wait, chew, wait.  

Get this, it's suggested for Bariatric Patients (per the company that MAKES IT) but as I've been shocked to hear, many post weight loss surgery patients wait a hell of a lot longer than 40-60 seconds between bites, making this, useless for them.  

For me?  

I was told to chew until my food was basically liquid, so however long that takes, but I sure as hell never timed it, and never would, as that would surely push me over the OCD edge.  

But, I just noticed, they've quoted my former nutritionist from her Twitter account on the front page of their website.  Who, was the one who gave me the guidelines for chewing and swallowing post gastric bypass.  Uh.  Yeah.  About that.

(And who put me in this book even though I totally SUCK as a patient! :P )

THAT SAID, I don't "get" the use of this product POST WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY.   I mean, immediately after weight loss surgery, we are only EATING 1, 2, 3 bites at a time anyway.  As time progresses, we do move on, but never much more than .5 - 1 cup at a time in the first year or so, and timing our bites is pretty individual.  Some of us "feel sick" after one bite of a solid protein, so taking a lot more time is necessary anyway.

Perhaps as a 'tool' (hatethatwordhateithateit) for something with typical gut arrangement who has control issues while eating?  Maybe to slow-the-flow, to make them pause to take a BREATH?  

Maybe I would have used this pre-op to slow the scarfing of, uh, potato chips?  

Wait.  Fries?  Oh.  Ice cream?  YES! That's the ticket!  ;)  

To be honest, the foods that made me obese weren't the ones I sat down with a fork to.  Would this slow me down with my McDonald's Value Meal #1 with a Diet Coke?  Not so much.  It might have helped me with my Lean Cuisines!

The foods that I FORK now, in a LARGE AMOUNT?  Don't require timing.  The only food I eat in a MASSIVE AMOUNT?  Baby greens, as in a salad.

How to use the Diet Dinnerware:

1. Remove Diet Dinnerware utensils out of the packaging.  Diet Dinnerware Set

2. Batteries are already in both the Fork and Spoon when you open the package. When the batteries do need to be replaced simply twist the bottom counterclockwise to open up and replace AAA battery. Each takes one AAA battery. The utensils don’t need replacement the batteries do.

3. Now that the batteries are in all the Diet Dinnerware equipment it can now be used. To turn on the Fork and Spoon click on the bottom button.

4. After you have pressed the button at the bottom of the utensil you will see it light up Green. (Please note that if it starts red please wait a moment till it is green.) When the utensil you are using is on Green it will stay on for 40 seconds. Giving you time to eat and take time to chew.

5. When the 40 seconds are up the light will turn Red. So now it’s time to put your fork or spoon down. Rest. Talk. Socialize at the table. And when the light turns back to Green you may begin to eat again. The light will switch from Green to Red till you are done with your meal.

6. When you go out to eat and don’t want to use the diet fork or spoon, you can use the portable Diet Dinnerware Restaurant Table Model. The two AAA batteries that come with the package are to be inserted into the Restaurant Table Timer.

7. After inserting the batteries into the Restaurant Table Model, to turn it on push the green button.

8. Once it is on you will see a Green Light. (Please note that if it starts red please wait a moment till it is green.) Same as the utensils, the Restaurant Table Model will light up Green for 40 seconds so that you can eat and take time to chew. Then the light will turn Red for 25 seconds and then switch back to Green. The light will switch from Green to Red till you are done with your meal.

• Product - My Diet Dinnerware
  • Via -  My Diet Dinnerware
  • Price - $21.95
  • Pros - Go, go, gadget blinking fork!  Slowing down compulsive eaters without WLS.
  • Cons - "Mama, why is your fork blinking?"  "Are you having control issues again?"  "You're seriously not going to walk into The Olive Garden with that thing, are you?"  Getting it confiscated by the TSA during security checkpoint.
  • Rating - NonPouchworthy,MM

Share on Facebook • Stumble It! • Subscribe to this feed

Just Brooke
on 5/27/10 9:54 pm
Definitely odd.

My dietitian said if you have problems with bite sizes to use a toddler spoon - probably way cheaper and less sillier.

M M
on 5/27/10 10:01 pm
 Right?  

I still say:  ChopSticks.
Mishelle R.
on 5/28/10 5:51 am
I like using real silverware so I stick with my ****tail fork. it slows me down some, but I can still shovel it in. So its a good thing to be using the smaller ones for now
M M
on 5/28/10 6:35 am
 I like using a smaller one.  It does help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views