Iron Deficient

Claudined
on 5/24/10 3:08 am - Malden, MA
Hi All,
I am 4 years post RNY, I have had successful weight loss and overall felt great. A year ago routine labs showed that I was severely anemic. After trying to resolve with oral Iron, I received an iron infusion. Then after 6 months, I needed another one. Now my iron is on it's way down again, not quite low enough for an infusion though. 

My hemotologist  is not buying into the idea of the cause of my low iron is because I can't absorb it. He feels that is an overrated belief and rather thinks I have small ulcers in my intestines that are bleeding, he is treating me for such. Because of this, he is reluctant to put me on regular infusions and instead waiting for my levels to drop low enough to need them.  (so the downward trend is not enough, he thinks they are going to stablize).  The problem is that the fatigue and other symptoms are starting to interfere with my quality of life. I am so tired and miserable all the time now. I felt great for about a month and half after the infusions, then the symptoms started again. 

My question to all of you is has anyone ever had the same issue with their hemotologist?  Is there a hemo in the boston/medford area you would recommend? 

thanks!

david kern
on 5/24/10 8:59 am
i just started battling myself with iron  i had plastic surgery in dec and it threw everything out of wack, im having a hard time becuase i dont really eat meat , they said too take oral 65 mg with oj for max affective , the wierd part is i only absorb 5 percent so itsgoing too a long awhile i calling a hemotologists this week i dont wanna be fighting this for months , i guess when it goes down u burn up your storage of iron  i dont wanna do that for sure , ansd the other thing i really dont eat meat so its going too be hard
Sue M.
on 5/24/10 9:50 am - Nantucket, MA
I don't have any answers, but I'm glad you posted and I'm interested in hearing what happens.,  Did your bariatric surgeon recommend this hemo?  perhaps they know of another?

Keep us posted! 

Good luck
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
sunni1974
on 5/29/10 12:21 am
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I don't know much about iron but it doesn't make sense that you should have to suffer the symptoms especially when it is affecting your quality of life so much when there must be other options to explore if regular infusions is not something the Dr wants to do. I would suggest checking out Andrea U's website (vitagartern something?). She posts regularly on the Main Board and has a ton of info on vitamins and iron as she has struggled with very low levels herself. Hope you find some answers and keep us posted.

326 start weight 280 day of surgery        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views