Is anyone elso going through this?

Miss_Kitty
on 5/21/10 7:57 pm - New Bedford, MA
I have been feeling like I have been going crazy this past month!  I have often times thought about checking myself into a mental hospital!  Has anyone ever heard of ............

POST OPPERATIVE DEPRESSION, or POST SURGICAL DEPRESSION?

I found out about it doing a search about the causes of depression. Then I Googled it. I read that it can occur immediately after surgery as well as up to months later. I am about 3 months post-op. Lately, I have been having severe anxiety attacks, severe depression, crying spells, even times throwing tantrums!  Has anyone else heard about this? Has anyone else gone through it?  Is there anyway out of it without being put on antidepressants?  I was on those in the past and had trouble tolerating them. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Just Brooke
on 5/21/10 10:49 pm
Um yeah! Your hormones are out of whack. You are eating like 500 calories a day which isn't "normal" ...your body is pissed off! I guess that is the best way to put it. Really, hang in there. It does get better. Your body needs to figure out how to work out all these little kinks.

anewleaf
on 5/24/10 3:01 am
 absolutely!  I tend to feel this way whenever I am stressed out.. and this is stressful!  I think it's hard, too, because our number one coping mechanism has been totally taken away.. eating!  It's like someone took the deck of cards and tossed them into a tornado and said have fun picking them up!

I've been in counseling since before surgery.  I like to avoid meds if I can help it, have been on them in the past for anxiety, and I'd rather learn coping mechanisms and how to manage it instead of masking it or putting a bandaid on it.  I know lots of people who are very happy on their meds, and that is good for them, but I'm not one that is happy on them.. being on anything makes me feel elderly.  I think counseling is a great way to deal with this.  And if you find a good therapist you make a connection with, he or she will be able to tell  you if they think you would benefit from meds.  I would say look for a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, b/c the psychologist will work with you for awhile and if they think there's a clinical reason for meds, they'll refer you out to a psychiatrist.  But if you start with a psychiatrist, they will find a clinical reason (even if none exists!) for you to be put on meds.  It's they're job.  

Sorry you're going through this.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views