WLS M******** come out, come out, wherevah you ahh!

M M
on 5/8/10 6:54 am
Where the hell are ya?  

Masshole MH Sticka

I just had lunch (don't read my review of the restaurant) with Marc (and his lovely wife!) of Gastric Bypass Supplementswho is also a Masshole.    Picture 117

I say this, because it didn't really occur to me, that it really is a small world here, we're only a few towns apart.  His brick-and-mortar store is in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts, where many of the post ops from Tobey Hospitals' Weight Loss Surgery Program find him.  He's local enough to those folks, so that they can go from their program - to an actual store and get bariatric product RIGHT THERE.  (Yeah, I had no idea how close I was to this program and it's groups.  I should go, or at least find someone who does ... tag along.)

It got me to rambling about how - "We don't have that...here."   I've whined about this before.

There aren't any weight loss surgery specific shops/stores or even sections in bigger stores that I know of, besides Nashua Nutrition in New Hampshire!  (Of which, I've been, ONCE, on the day of the Walk From Obesity.)

There are so many Bariatric Programs in our state.  So. Many.  I am surprised we don't have any WLS-related shops/stores -- you'd think?

I'm in the BIGGEST TOWN IN THE STATE, and we don't have a store with supplements in it.  (Now, I feel really awful for you guys that live in the east of nowhere.)

We were talking about weight loss surgery, post op support and finding what you need as a post op in stores in your area.  

• Where DO you go?  
  • How DO you navigate through the stores to find what you need?  
  • Do you find that you get any help finding what you need?  
  • Do you feel out of place in many nutrition stores?  
  • Do you simply shop online?

I shared my frustration with the fact that I've always had to go through places like GNC, because, it's we have.  I even got a job there once, figuring I could at least get a discount, and help my peers, who I know would ultimately end up there eyes-glazed-over looking for vitamins.

You cannot GET the kind of answers you need at big nutrition stores.  They don't GET us.  Gastric Bypass Supplements gets us, if you can get to him.  ;)  Or get him online.  I am really hoping he branches out, maybe to, uhh, Wareham/Plymouth or anywhereIcangettoviapublictransport.  

PS.  I'll work there if you paint the walls bright pink.  And let me be OCD with sorting things on the shelves, alphabetically, and by color.

Chewy Bite Give Away

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Share on Facebook • Stumble It! • Subscribe to this feed

Just Brooke
on 5/8/10 8:44 am
I like Nashua Nutrition BUT it takes like 40 minutes to get there ...so with money being tight it is easier to go with a place like GNC which is right around the corner! The owner recently came to our center with a bunch of samples and goodies at a support group. He seemed super helpful the ONE time I did go and knew which section I needed to be looking in.

I don't shop online, period. Never have for anything. I like looking at products in my hand. Now if I found something IN a store first ...than I'd order more online, but still like to avoid shipping.

M M
on 5/8/10 8:48 am
 I hear you on NN - it's SO far from me - I couldn't get there anyway - although they have a super selection.

GNC manager came to YOU?  That is unheard of.  WOW.

And, online shopping?  I am seriously deficient at it.   

I have always been a touchy-feely girl.  I am RIGHT THIS SECOND trying to buy a dress for the OH Event online - and it makes me crazy that I can't touch - stretch - see - you know?   But, I'm getting more and more into it since I'm less able to get out.

Just Brooke
on 5/8/10 9:33 am
I meant the Nashua Nutrition guy came LOL! Sorry.

M M
on 5/8/10 9:34 am
 Ha!  That's more like it.  He's a nice guy.  
Sue M.
on 5/8/10 10:13 am - Nantucket, MA
LOVE Nashua Nutrition!!!

I loved living near them, and now I do most of my shopping for WLS stuff on line, but it was handy to go to the store, pick things to try and go back next time and buy bulk of what i like.

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
RedSox15
on 5/8/10 11:06 am - MA
I think I'll have to take a roadtrip to Nashua Nutrition some upcoming weekend.

I was kind of disappointed in the Dartmouth Store .. the people there were nice and helpful but I didn't like the selection for some reason.
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

M M
on 5/8/10 9:45 pm
 What kinds of items would you like to see other than what they offered in terms of vitamins, protein, etc.?  (They are bringing in more items, but feedback FROM US is how it happens.  :)  ...)
RedSox15
on 5/8/10 11:52 pm - MA
I would love for them to have more of the entrees and protein bars focused specifically for WLS.  WAY too many of their protein bars were for bodybuilders and the fat and sugar contents were downright outrageous!  No way WLS patients would be able to eat them.  I bought one protein bar that was a brownie roll because it looked sooo good but I had to split it 4 ways because the fat content was ridiculous.  I LOVE the WonderSlim Steak Cheese Macaroni packets and would love to see those products in the stores.  I found the Dartmouth store very small.
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

M M
on 5/9/10 12:56 am
 I understand - the online shop is specifically for WLS - the retail locale is for nutrition/bodybuilding with a WLS section.  :)

He is looking to build on the section, that is why I ask.  :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views