Newton Wellesley Hospital

Bella923
on 5/4/10 5:53 am - Abington, MA
Hi!  This is my first post here.  I am in the beginning of this whole process.  I went to the new patient info session last week at Newton Wellesley Hosptial. And I am scheduled to meet with Dr. Shelia Patridge next week.  I am wicked excited and nervous all at the same time.  I am hoping I don't have to wait too long before I can get surgery schedule but I have no idea.  How long from your first consulation to your surgery date?
Also anyone here go thru NWH? 
Sue M.
on 5/4/10 10:33 pm - Nantucket, MA
I LOVE Newton-Wellesley.  I went through their program and have ZERO complaints.  I had a 6 month program to complete before I could schedule my surgery date, so my wait between consult and surgery was long, but I believe at the time - they would have scheduled me for surgery within 2-3 months from consult. 

If they haven't changed anything, you will see Dr. Patridge 1 month after consult and after that, they will schedule your surgery!

Welcome to the board, and to the family!!!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Bella923
on 5/4/10 11:04 pm - Abington, MA
Sue:  6 month program?  Was this a NWH thing or insurance or something else?
Sue M.
on 5/5/10 8:42 am - Nantucket, MA
INSURANCE - newton wellesley has no real requirements.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
bethd63
on 5/4/10 10:50 pm
Hi!  I had my surgery at NWH!  (Not with Dr. Partridge--but all the surgeons and staff there are excellent!)  I had my initial consultation on August 4, 2009, and had surgery on October 26th.  From what I hear, that's pretty average--but varies from person to person. 

Nervous and excited?  Hell yes!!!!!  Don't worry...they will go over EVERYTHING during your first visit.  They will tell you about all the program requirements, and give you a notebook that will become your weight loss "bible."  The time between the consultation and surgery is very important because it's all about preparing yourself for very dramatic changes.  They want to be sure you are committed and ready to face some big challenges.  It's all very doable!

I attend most of the support group meetings.  I even went to the new patient info session last week--in honor of my 6-month surgiversary--a little refresher to remind me why I wanted to do this.  No regrets so far!  You'll find many people at the meetings are friendly and willing to share their experiences--all in all, a very supportive  bunch. 

Maybe we'll meet at a meeting sometime!  (Or maybe we already have?)  Best of luck to you!  Be excited, be very excited! 
Bella923
on 5/4/10 11:03 pm - Abington, MA
OMG that quick!  That's awesome and scary.  I guess right now I am also worried about how many hoops insurance might make you go thru.  I have BCBS and when I spoke with Marena she seems to think they are pretty good but I have had bad luck with insurance (fertility issues). 

I was at last week's new patient info!!  My husband and I were sitting on the side of the room near Dr. Raj(?) against wall..  So far everyone I've talked to there have been awesome.  After that meeting my husband who was 50/50  on getting the procedure done himself is excited about it too.  What really did it for him was listening to some of the people who already had procedure.  We are now BOTH going for our consulations next Wednesday. 

Guess I'll be attending some more support meetings this month to follow program.

bethd63
on 5/4/10 11:16 pm

Wow--you and hubby too!  Awesome!

I have BCBS too--and they were surprisingly easy--but plans vary, and also depends on what exclusions are in your individual plan.  I also had the same crummy experience with them for fertility treatments, so I understand being skeptical.  We'll have to compare notes some time!

I was sitting all the way across the room from you--back corner opposite Dr. Chahal.

Good luck on Wednesday!

Cher B.
on 5/5/10 2:07 pm, edited 5/5/10 2:07 pm - MA
Yes...I have all good things to say about NWH.  I'm almost 3 years out and have zero regrets about having chosen NWH for my surgery.
Bostonbabs
on 5/6/10 1:39 am
How long it takes will vary based on your readiness (physical, psychological) and your insurance requirements. I think I am example of the best case scenario; New patient meeting 3/28, first visits (with Dr Partridge, who rocks btw) 4/7, then 5/4, and surgery is now officially scheduled for 5/17/2010. I just got the message this morning the insurance approval is in (was requested late Tuesday?) I am thrilled at how quickly it moved for me, but I've spent a long time (years) considering/researching this, and have been ready for a long time. Standard wait/prep time is 4-6 months.
  BW 257/SW 244/GW 150, HT 5'8"          
Mommie23
on 5/6/10 6:00 am - Abington, MA
HI,
  Just wanted to say that I went thru the NW hospital program . It is a great program !!!!!! I did not wait looong at all I made my 1st  phone call on May 15th 2008 and had my surgery on July 31. So, I will be 2yrs out in July and it is the best thing I did for myself.  I also wanted to let you know that I also live in Abington and if you need any ?'s answered I will gladly help if I can. My e-mail address is [email protected] . I know that I appreciated all the advice everybody gave me along the way. Good luck on your journey.....Take Care, Justine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views