Ok had to share since I'm in love and all...lol

tauntonredsox33
on 5/4/10 12:05 am - Taunton, MA
This was posted a while ago on the RNY board by Jupiter 6.
Thought I would post today.

"I try to be kind, but I am going to vent a moment here-- no one in particular in mind, just a general statement.

I see so many people go into this like gangbusters and lose steam-- and it annoys the crap out of me. And still more who "were never told" what to do-- and never bothered to find out, either.

I think of my RNY like a marriage--- and not just of organs and connective tissue. Love it or hate it, it's with me now for life-- and my attitude is that I can either invest everything I have in it in hopes of high rewards, or neglect it and hope it works out.

A LOT of people have their focus on the wedding (surgery day) or the whirlwind romantic honeymoon (the first year of easy loss.) The truth is, you could probably eat nothing but goddamn Cap'n Crunch cereal and Pixy Sticks and lose weight in the first 6 months--- just like the honeymoon in the Bahamas'd be full of lusty fun under the worst of conditions....the challenge is how to maintain a working, passionate and healthful MARRIAGE--- which lasts the rest of your life.

So for me, on a daily basis, on the 9-5, I am faithful, compliant and hardworking. I honor my vows by tallying nutrition, balancing foods, getting moderate exercise, and not shoving crap in my face. On occasion, I remind myself that I am human and lusty by scheduling in a little "afternoon delight" in the form of a piece of chocolate, or a half-slice of cake--- but I am not having an affair, I am actually keeping myself from having affairs--by treating my RNY spouse as part of a full relationship, and remembering my love for food in a limited and honorable way---not having a "quickie" in some seedy bar bathroom stall (Cheetos, a handful of fries, candy from the machine), but a planned weekend at that quaint motor lodge with the hot tub and a view of the canyon. I ask, "Can we afford it?" and check the numbers and say, "Hell, it's only 1100 calories, go for it." Then my RNY and I do some wonderful, small, memorable things with food.

People ask me, "Don't you ever just eat something? Like a snack or a handful of M&Ms?" To me, that'd be like making out with the janitor. I have a commitment to my RNY (and by proxy my self.). I am not gonna dishonor that by playing slap and tickle with the hired help in a dirty bathroom.

So I have my planned forays--- Saturday night was my first in two months-- and it cost me literaly 1100 calories for the day. And when the weekend was over, my RNY and I came back to the daily business of running my body's household. Vacation is just that-- vacation. And when the honeymoon period ends, I am gonna have to look my RNY spouse in the face and get on with things.

Forget the wedding-- weddings are always lovely. And screw the honeymoon-- who doesn't have a wonderful honeymoon? The $1,000,000 question here is, "How are you going to honor your RNY marriage-- in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live?"
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
CATHERINE81
on 5/4/10 12:27 am - BROCKTON, MA
absolutely beautiful
tauntonredsox33
on 5/4/10 12:52 am - Taunton, MA
I didn't write it someone else did...  I just shared it... thought it was a great post!!!
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
MommyosaRose
on 5/4/10 2:06 am
That was an awesome analogy...Without a doubt one of the best posts I have read. Congrats to Jupiter 6 for writing it and thank YOU for sharing it with us.

XOXO
Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/10 3:36 am
Love it--I haven't seen her post in a long time but thank you for sharing this.
Sue M.
on 5/4/10 9:22 am - Nantucket, MA
i have been kissing that damn janitor. 

Thanks for the reminder.  Jupiter is brilliant.  her phrase "I can do hard things" is something I remind myself of often.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Katie H.
on 5/4/10 10:14 am - Charlton, MA
Oh man, that's too funny!!

But so true!

Thanks for the re-post!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views