Newbie Here

katd70
on 4/23/10 9:26 am - Stoughton, MA
Hey there - this is my first post and I have a question about my diet post-op. I am having surgery Monday 4/26 at St. E's, and went shopping today for what I will need post-op. I was looking at the yogarts, I know they list greek yogart as something we can have but all the one's I saw had too much sugar in them. Can anyone give suggestions on what I can eat and not eat? I want to make sure I am getting enough protein.
Thanks All!
RedSox15
on 4/23/10 10:29 am - MA
Welcome!!  Congratulations on your WLS journey!! 

The greek yogurt is great!  Yes it is higher in sugar but since it is so high in protein it is OK to eat.  I asked my nutritionist this same question and she assured me it was OK.  I do not dump on the sugar (BUT I don't ever dump, so I'm not the best one to judge on that - lol.)  Egg beaters are awesome.  At first I was grossed out thinking about eggs coming out a carton but they taste just like the real eggs.  I actually had them for dinner tonight and I melt Kraft Fat Free Mozzarella cheese in them - soooo yummy.  I also put a little reduged sugar ketchup on them - I just can't seem to give up ketchup.

Dannon's Light and Fit yogurts are equally as yummy!  They are much lower in sugar and you can add some unflavored protein powder in them.  I did that the first couple of weeks.

Welcome to the boards - the gals on here are terrific!!!!! 
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

lisa1974
on 4/23/10 10:48 am - Brockton, MA

Hello and welcome

i ate the chobani vanilla greek yogurt right after surgery and had no dumping
after about 1 week out i liked to try diffrent protien shakes i only got chocolate and vanilla
before surgery so i would add sugar free syrup to the vanilla and a teaspoon of peanut butter
to the chocolate for a bit of variety

katd70
on 4/23/10 11:01 am - Stoughton, MA
Thank you both for the advice...so if it has higher protein a little more sugar is ok? Good to know, I looked at the Dannon light too and put them back because of the sugar. This is all so over whelming learning to eat again at this stage in life. LOL!
Definatley will try the egg beaters, that's something I never thought of.
Eliza123
on 4/23/10 10:03 pm

Welcome!!

My Nutritionist said that you should stick to the plain greek yogurts and then try adding low sugar items in - like frozen / fresh fruit to add flavor.   I am not a yogurt person so I never actually went that route.   But it is an idea....

I'm sure you will find something that works for you!

- Eliza

Eliza123
on 4/23/10 10:06 pm

Oh, and I am a big fan of the soy items - like the morningstar farms soy sausage patties - 10 grms protein each.   I microwave them (just enough to make them hot) and add applesauce for moisture. 

- Eliza

DwindlingFlower
on 4/23/10 10:40 pm - Quincy, MA
Another good trick is FF ricotta cheese, microwaved with some tomatoe sauce, it fools your brain into thinking your eating lasagna and youve got protein from the cheese, you could add a bit of flavorless protein powder in there if you want too. 

Do you have all your protein powders ready to go, thats primarily what youll be on for awhile...

Glad to see you finally posted... welcome to the losers bench!!

DwindlingFlower

katd70
on 4/23/10 10:50 pm - Stoughton, MA
No, I don't have any protein powders, just some protein shakes. Where can I get powders and which ones are he best.?
I will definatley try the riccotta cheese and tomatoe sauce, that sounds pretty good.

As of today I am offically a nervous wreck, but am so excited to be finally starting my new life!

Eliza123
on 4/23/10 11:17 pm

Protein powders are really trial and error.  Everyone seems to like something different.    I tried quite a few before settling on Click and Nectar fuzzy navel as my go to protein drinks.   Nectar Roadside Lemonade is also good.   Click has expresso and vanilla latte flavors - so if you like coffee I think these are a no brainer.   I have them in the am as my morning cup of joe!   I'm picky though (I didn't even like Chike and it seems that many people like that).

You can get samples from Vitalady.com   - they are reasonably priced (shipping is expensive) but better than throwing away money on something you don't like.  

As for pre-mixed - I really like Myoplex Lite Chocolate.   I get it at walmart or Shaws.   20 grams of protein and tastes like chocolate milk (no bad aftertase).

Good luck!  Eliza

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views