New member. Thinking of getting bypass surgery.

Soxfan75
on 4/14/10 3:51 am - Beverly, MA
 Hello everyone. I recently brought up surgery to my primary care doctor and he said he will look into referring me to a surgeon. I have debated on getting this surgery for a couple of years now and I think it's time. I am not even sure this can be covered yet but I hope so. I have mass health right now. Anyone else have that insurance and have problems? 

Beth
LisaBC86
on 4/14/10 5:27 am - Bridgewater, MA
Can't help with your question - I don't have that insurance - but I'm sure someone on here will chime in soon ...... But I wanted to welcome you ! and to encourage you to do your research and know what you want - don't let anyone pressure you one way or the other !!

I can only say it's been wonderful for me !

Best of luck !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Soxfan75
on 4/14/10 5:47 am - Beverly, MA
 Thanks for the reply :)  Glad it's been a good experience for you. I hope to get the ball rolling soon on this. It seems like there is a lot of positive stories on here so that is good to see.
RedSox15
on 4/14/10 9:15 am - MA
Congrats on your (hopeful) WLS journey and welcome!!!  I couldn't agree more with Lisa.  Do the research and take your ticking picking out a program/surgeon.  The girls on this board are GREAT and don't be afraid to ask any questions!!

Kate
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Just Brooke
on 4/14/10 8:51 pm
Masshealth will pay for the surgery.

Welcome!!! 

If you'd like ..you can check out Lowell General Hospital ...the surgeons office is in Chelmsford, if you could make that drive from Beverly.

smonizcota
on 4/18/10 2:11 pm
Hi Soxfan75

All I can say is that I just had the RNY surgery at the Tobey Hospital in Wareham on April 12 and it is already the best decision I have ever made. I have been blessed with a complications free procedure, a great surgeon in Rayford Kruger, M.D., and remarkably supportive nursing and nutritional team! My recovery has been phenomenal (I have walked at least 3 miles per day since returning home. My pain has been very minimal, and in fact I no longer need any pain meds. The Stage 3 diet is a challenge however very doable. My blood pressure is now normal and I am off all medications that I had to take prior to surgery (hypertension, cholesterol, Type II Diabetes, anti-depressants and anxiety) and will probably be able to send my C-pap machine to the bottom of the ocean when I lose more weight :)  But do your research carefully and make an informed decision! Good luck and God Bless!
Steve
Soxfan75
on 4/19/10 6:17 am - Beverly, MA
 Thanks for your response. Glad everything went really well for you. I signed up for an informational session at Salem Hospital next Monday so I am looking forward to getting this all started. They sent me a bunch of papers to fill out and bring with me. I am nervous and excited to finally get this going. I hope I have a similar story to yours. :)

~Beth
Bella923
on 4/19/10 11:29 pm - Abington, MA
I am also a new member here considering gastric bypass.  I am going to information session at Newton Wellesley hosptial on the 29th.  I am very excited.  This hospital and surgeon were recommended to me by a new friend of mine who loved them and has last 100 lbs herself.  I've thought about getting this surgery done in the past but never did anything about it because I was too chicken.  Now I think I've gotten pass my initial fear.  I am still freaked out and not sure yet if I can really do this but I;ve taken the first step.  I also have a consulation scheduled with the doctor for the 12th.  As for insurance I have Blue Cross Blue Shield - I've been told they cover it but since my policy isn't active until the 1st I have not been able to call them and confirm it yet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views