WLS Hernia repair and tummy tuck

daddya
on 4/13/10 4:49 am - framingham, MA
I have a hernia and my WLS doctor will repair it when I'm ready.  My question is, he will do a tummy tuck at the same time he repairs my hernia.  He wants cash from me to pay for the tummy tuck. 

Has anyone else had a hernia repair and at the same time had a tummy tuck that insurance paid for both?
Sue M.
on 4/13/10 9:35 am - Nantucket, MA
i've never heard of a WLS surgeon doing plastic surgery.

some insurance companies do cover tummy tucks, and i believe it is possible to have both procedures done at the same time.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Miss_Kitty
on 4/14/10 5:47 pm - New Bedford, MA
Yes.............I had both done, and yes my insurance company paid for it. It depends on your insurance. I have mass health and medicare. My surgery was done this past Feb. I am 7 weeks post op. I had a hernia near my belly button and they repaired the hernia and gave me a panniculectomy at the same time. I had it done at mass general in Boston. My huge belly was pulling on my hernia and so they both had to be removed. My insurance company had to pay for it because it was considered medicaly necessary. (I assume) Keep researching your insurance company, and maybe you can get a second opinion from another surgeon. Take care and God bless you.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

jereyes
on 4/17/10 11:15 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
I had a lower body lift with a hernia repair in 06.  I had Dr. Randall for my RNY as well.  I know her does tummy tucks as well as hernia repairs.  Many of his patients have been very happy with their tummy tucks.  Dr. Randall will not deal with insurance for a TT.  It takes to long and many insurances will not cover it.  My insurance cover the hernia repair, or time, anth, and 2 night stay at the hospital.  I had to pay the difference for a lower body lift. Good Luck!
daddya
on 4/17/10 11:59 pm - framingham, MA

Thanks for the info.  I just hear alot of people have TT's covered by insurance.  I realy want it but could pay bills off instead.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views