Is scar drainage normal?

Nicolioli26
on 4/1/10 9:32 am - Framingham, MA
I am a week post-op GBS and noticed today that clear-sh orange liquid is draining out of my scar. Is this normal? I just had all my bandages and pain catheder removed yesterday and my scar was SO dry last night...now its less scabs...but the drainage is freaking me out...Let me know :) Thanks OH Fam
anewleaf
on 4/1/10 11:36 am
Yes, it's normal.  Mine would leak one night.. a lot.. and not the next for a few nights until about 2 weeks out.  Then, all of a sudden one day, I realized I no longer had to change my clothes in the middle of the night. lol  Sleep with a towel under you for another week or so, though.. I bought a new mattress a month before my surgery and have a big ol' nasty "Drain Stain" on it. lol  I looked at it fondly this week, but, I'd be pretty happy without that drain stain, too. hah!

RazzyRobyn
on 4/2/10 2:54 am - West Boylston, MA
For the first few weeks mine drained too. I called my surgeon in a panic and he was so sweet and kind. He told me that I was normal. :)

However, if you have any doubts/concerns always call your surgeon!  :)

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

jugilber
on 4/25/10 9:58 pm - MA
I have not had RNY yet...but I am a surgical nurse....as long as the drainage isn't purulent, with a foul odor it should be OK....better out than in...keep checking your temperature...and monitor the drainage....notify your MD if it changes....
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views