4 days post-op and going NUTS!

Nicolioli26
on 3/29/10 5:21 am - Framingham, MA
I had my gastic bypass surgery this past thursday and it went great. Dr.Randall (natick) was excellent and took great care of me while in the hospital. I was discharged on Sunday and now am having major issued getting my fluids/protein in. I havent felt hungry once since before the surgery and am basically forcing myself to drink both the shakes and clear fluids. I think the biggest problem is that the protein shakes I tried before surgery taste completely different to me now. The only ones I can tolerate so far are Unjury chocolate and Lean Desser Peanit butter chocolare and the No sugar added vanilla carnation instant breakfast. I cant get any of these in a store and have to order them all online which is an issue cause I need them NOW...

My incision is a little bit painful (which I expected) but moving and sleeping has gotten easier as the days have gone on. Any suggestions on how to get thorugh these next couple of days before I see the doctor?

A positive is that Ive lost 4 pounds since surgery :)  

dianaflrs
on 3/29/10 7:48 am - Brookline, MA

Is a lady in Quincy that was giving away some carnation vanilla shakes.  If you can get someone to pick them up, she may still have them.. I can email her for you if you would like.. What is your email so I can give it to her if she still have them....

diana

Kathy V.
on 3/29/10 7:51 am - MA
Welcome to the losers bench.  You're gonna love it here  :)

Sorry to say BUT these first few weeks are a process to get use to.  Just try to get as much protein and fluid in that you can.  Don't stress--do your best.  Each day gets better.  Everyone's taste changes after surgery and no one feels like eating. 

One day at a time  :)   Enjoy your journey  :)

.....kathy   

dianaflrs
on 3/29/10 8:04 am - Brookline, MA
[email protected]  That is the ladies email for the vanilla carnation. Give her a try..

dianaflrs
on 3/29/10 8:05 am - Brookline, MA
Here is her email  [email protected]. give her a try...

anewleaf
on 3/29/10 10:53 am
It's very hard at first!  And some days are still very hard for me (I'm almost 3 months out) but it gets easier.  I still am not meeting either my fluid or protein goals.  Not even close.  But.. for now.. focus on your fluids.  In a couple weeks you'll have a slightly easier time getting proteins in.  I think it'll be a struggle for quite some time to hit all the goals, but just keep trying, and remember to always hydrate yourself regardless of what you are or are not able to get in.  Do what you can.  The hardest thing for me at first was all the extra time on my hands.. being out of work and not having the distraction of cooking or eating and then pair that with being extremely thirsty, was really hard for me and took it's toll emotionally.  I cried everyday for weeks.  But it finally got better.  And now I feel "normal" or what I imagine a "normal" person to feel like, I can't overeat and I am satisfied and know when to stop and I am not thirsty like I was b/c I'm getting more fluids in (still not enough.. but enough that I'm not always parched anymore!)

It'll be worth it.  I hit 60 pounds a week or so ago.. I feel amazing.  I'm ready to workout hard, but hurt my shoulder the first day I went back to the gym (BE CAREFUL when you go back!)  Have to wait a few more months now before I can workout, but am chomping at the bit.  You'll feel great, very soon.  

My left incision hurt a lot for a long time.  I think that's normal.  It still acts up on occasion, but it really doesn't bother me most of the time now. 

Congratulations.  :-)  Best wishes on your journey!

tauntonredsox33
on 3/30/10 1:02 am - Taunton, MA
All sounds normal... Your doing great... just rest and sip sip sip... focus on fluids!!! It will get easier...  I promise you that!!!
Welcome to the looser bench! 
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
lisa1974
on 3/30/10 1:07 am - Brockton, MA
glad things went well for you hang in there im 1 week 1 day out still have trouble getting in my fluids and still have lots of pain but i just deal with it crushed up pain pills make me gag i did use them the 1st day and a half and today i was able to go from my recliner to my bed for a few hours just do what you can ...i read so much here and thought what am i doing wrong all these people get up and move on so much faster than i can everyone is diffrent im glad i have 6 weeks off work  because i realy need to take it slow also i would say try maybe adding a sf flavor syrup those help me
stellalukin
on 3/31/10 1:35 am - Cambridge, MA
Hi! Welcome to the 'other side' First few weeks take a lot of adjustments.

First things first, this is not the time to worry about getting all of your protein in. Fluids are much more important at this stage of the game than protein is. Trust me, there is time for that later & you'll get there.
Second, you may find that your taste for plain water has either changed or left you completely. I realized within a week after surgery that me & plain water no longer got along, and we still don't.

So concentrate on fluids first, then protein. And honestly I would skip the Carnation Instant Breakfast as a reliable source of protein. It does not get the job done- I mean, unless you're in an emergency, "must eat something before I faint" situation, which can happen. Unjury is definitely the best quality protein. Anything egg or whey based is what you want to look for. Definitely no soy or collagen-based proteins.
And as soon as your doctor clears you for exercise, get moving.

Welcome to the club, it's such a fun ride.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

redheadedgirl
on 3/31/10 9:53 am
I agree that the shakes taste different post op. I can't really drink the Carnation now, and use it only as a last resort. That being said, if it's all you can get down, Shaw's in Ashland has the variety pack in the sugar free, so you would also get a few chocolate and 1 or 2 strawberry. GNC has isopure which I like, I add some sugar free syrup and that's my breakfast. Good luck and welcome.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views