My primary Care doctor doesnt believe in Gastric surgery

marianne D.
on 3/28/10 3:56 pm - nashua, NH
Hello,
      I was wondering if someone could offer me guidance and advice. I live in Lowell, Mass and my primary care doctor does not believe in weight-loss surgery. He told me to start eating salads! Anyways, I am looking for another PCP that would consider referring me to the Gastric Bypass Surgery Center at Lowell General. Does anyone have a primary care doctor who listens, empathizes with patients that are obese? Not sure if surgery is right for me but both my sisters had Gastric Bypass and it changed their life for the better. If you have a primary care doctor that is open to referring his/her patients to weight loss center at Lowell General Hospital please let me know! Thank you for your support. I am a new member to obesity help and I have lots to learn about Gastric Bypass surgery. If you had your surgery at Lowell general could you please contact Me!
LisaBC86
on 3/28/10 9:27 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Good luck to you and welcome - I'm not in your area so I have little to offer that will be helpful. I will share that my primary (who I love) doesn't generally recommend it either - fortunately for me - I didn't need his referrral (my insurance didn't require it) but when I did ask him about it - he gave me his opinion but did say he would have referred me if I had needed it..... I can understand your doctors opinion BUT you are the patient - if he talks with you and feels you have thought it through - he should make the referral - He shouldn't have to "approve". Sorry just my thoughts !

Good luck to you and I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you some valuable advice !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Just Brooke
on 3/28/10 10:00 pm
Depending on your insurance .........YOU DON'T NEED A REFERRAL!!! I sure didn't!! Call Lowell Generals Center For Weight Management and find if you even need a referral with your insurance. Find out when the next information sessions is and go to that - it's free! You HAVE to attend that session as it's your "ticket" to getting any appointment. While you are there you could ask what do people do when their PCP doesn't want to write a referral.

anewleaf
on 3/29/10 2:11 am
I used to see a woman up when we lived in Dracut, I'm not sure her stance on this surgery, but I can't imagine her not being supportive.  Alexandra Argasinski.  She was good.  She's up by the Middlesex CC, I don't remember the name of that street now, but if you google her I'm sure you'll find her.

Good luck.  It's good to find out sooner than later that they're anti surgery.  I found out after surgery and am now looking for a new pcp ,too.  Stinks.

marianne D.
on 3/29/10 9:50 pm - nashua, NH
Thank You for the wonderful advice. I hope your surgery went well! Take Care, Marianne
ClareB
on 3/29/10 5:18 am - MA
What I might do is go backwards.  Cal the surgeon and have them reccommen the PCP.

Any how.  I live near by you and my doc has/had no issues doing that for me.

He is Dr. John Sullivan in Wilmington.  His tel # is 978-658-4432.  My surgeon is out of Winchester Hospital.  He has support groups each month.  Tuesdays.  I think the first or second Tuesday of the month.  Call his office and ask when the next one is. His number is 781-662-2288.   Or call any surgeon and ask them when their next one is.  Ask people in the meetings who they see and take it from there. 

You may want to call around some surgeons offices and ask them when they are booking new patient appointments and book them.  I took me a long time to get in like 2-3 months for my initial consult. 

If you want to talk more PM me and I would be glad to help you through the maze of this whole thing and what to expect.

Good Luck!!

Clare
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views