Need help with Tufts

Ethiomomma
on 3/25/10 12:40 am

This is a cross post with the lap band forum, so I apologize for those folks going to both forums, but I really could use some advice.

I am a patient who was using CMC in Manchester, NH.  Unfortunately, I have had previous abdominal surgeries and was informed that Dr. Campbell wasn't comfortable doing my surgery.  I was fine with that; I really respect a doctor that knows their limitations.

I was referred to Dr. Shah at Tufts, whom I liked when I saw her on 1/6/2010.  She indicated that they would establish my surgery date at their next Wednesday surgeon meeting.  Since then I have been dealing with office staff, who do not want to talk with me to explain the process. 

I waited three weeks to receive a phone call from a clerk to schedule me for things that had already completed at CMC.  When I asked why they were scheduling me for these things, I was informed that I needed to speak to a woman named Lindsey, who said she would look into it and get back with me.  She never did! 

I called one to two times a week for three weeks when I was finally informed by someone named Sabrina that I did not need to attend those appointments, and that they would schedule me for surgery after that Wednesday's surgeon meeting.  A week later, I called back, and that had not taken place.  Finally, I got a date of April 12th for the surgery.  In the meantime I got a letter confirming the medical appointments that I was told that I did not need to attend, so I had to call to determine if I truly did not need to go.  The woman I spoke with was really rude, and said that "I told you the last time we spoke that you didn't need to go to those appointments."  Uhmm, yeah I got that, but then why did I get this appointment letter in the mail yesterday? Her tone changed, but I still know nothing about what is supposed to happen in the next three weeks.

They still have not scheduled the pre-op appointments, and have not submitted any pre-approval paperwork to my insurance company.  They keep sending the bills for my 1/6/10 appointment to me, but not to my insurance provider.  I have given them my insurance information on at least five separate occasions. I am extremely frustrated, and annoyed.  They do not appear to respect their patients, or provide any guidance on what to expect as part of the process.  At CMC, they provided checklists, are extremely helpful, and you had a pretty good idea of the process.  Tufts is like a big black hole.

Can anyone let me know what their experience has been with Tufts?  When will they provide me with a pre-op appointment?  Should I call and start looking into why they have not requested the insurance approval?  The representative that I spoke to from my insurance company (BCBS) said most approvals are obtained in 48 hours, but some can take as long as two weeks.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon

tauntonredsox33
on 3/25/10 3:12 am - Taunton, MA
Shanon Shanon Shanon... your not the only one that has had office problems Your not alone!!!!! 
Just be greatful You have not had to Deal with TANIA !!!!

I'll PM you :)  
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
DwindlingFlower
on 3/25/10 10:02 am - Quincy, MA
If we had a dollar for everytime we complained about Tania... I could afford a thigh lift I think LOL. Seriously though, its the support staff of Tufts that makes it difficult to like the program, but the surgeons are great, from what I hear and from my personal experience with my mother. I'm still hoping that St. E's becomes a level 1 center so my mom can have her surgery done there instead of Tufts, just so I dont have to deal with incompetent people. Argh

DwindlingFlower

Kathy V.
on 3/25/10 10:30 am - MA
Sharon,

I had your exact same situation.  I went thru the program at CMC and Dr Campbell couldn't do my surgery.  I even worked at the OR at CMC at the time.  I was also referred to Tufts (Dr Tarnoff), had my surgery there and couldn't be happier.  Because Tufts is sooooo much bigger than CMC, you need to stay on top of things.  Coming from CMC is not new to them but "different" from their norm.  When things happen, they happen quickly.  Your pre-op will probably 10 days prior to your date,  Also they can't submit for insurance approval until you have a date.  BC/BS does take just 48 hrs.  That's what I had.  And it took just 48 hrs.  They really do know what they are doing but you need to be on top of them.  Keep calling......squeeky wheel.....

PM me with any more questions you may have,

.....kathy   

redheadedgirl
on 3/25/10 10:54 am
Ah Tania, you just have to keep following up with her and you will be okay. Actually I had a better experience than you. I had lost my job, found another one, but had to go through a 6 month program for insurance as was going to finish just about 3 weeks before I had to start the new job. Thanks to everyone in the office I was able to have my surgery 12 days prior to starting my new job. They even called me while I was on vacation to see if I could come in 1 day sooner, which I did. I couldn't be happier with the attention I had, so just be persistent, it's a great hospital with wonderful surgeons and caring people. You can PM me if you like though.
RedSox15
on 3/25/10 10:54 am - MA
Aww, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time w/ Tufts.  My experience was the complete opposite - the staff at Tufts was extremely awesome to me and on top of everything.  Tania was also nice to me **GASP**!!  I couldn't believe she was nice after hearing how rude she was to other people.

I hope Tufts can get their act together for you and BEST OF LUCK with your wls journey!! :)
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views