what to do....

jessmedeiros
on 3/24/10 12:01 pm
So I had decided on lap band, however the people i know that have had wls and my pcp and theropist are telling me to get rny and by the looks of it most people on the mass forum have gone the rny route. I know I need to do some more research on rny but just looking for some input. Thanks
RedSox15
on 3/24/10 10:43 pm - MA
Congrats on your WLS journey :)  I originally went in for the lap band but decided on rny.  This is a personal choice and one that only you can make.  Make sure to do all your research and do what is best for you.  My weakness in my eating habits were always junk foods, fatty and sugary foods.  These are less tolerable with the rny.  I decided on the rny based on my research and knowing what would work best for my weight loss.  I felt that I would have better results with the rny than the lap band and that the lap band just wouldn't work for me.

Best of luck on your decision
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

anewleaf
on 3/24/10 10:49 pm
Hey Jess,
I also started out thinking Lap band, it was so much less... permanent... and therefore less scary to me.  But the more meetings I attended and saw how well people lived after RNY and how many people who have lap band initially eventually go in for a "conversion" to RNY anyway, and knowing that I had more than 60 pounds to lose, that for me, I'd be setting myself up for a failure if I did lap band.  I also have a weakness for sugars and fatty foods and knew that I would need more structure than lap band allows. 

HTH.  Good luck in your research and decision!

tauntonredsox33
on 3/25/10 12:29 am, edited 3/25/10 12:29 am - Taunton, MA
jess... I 3rd what above posts have said..
It's your decision only to make.....   DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

There are also other surguries other then Lap band and Gastric Bypass for weighloss surgery!
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Sue M.
on 3/25/10 12:35 am - Nantucket, MA
check out the lap band board, and the RNY board.  ask specific questions of concern - since people already made their choice, and no one can tell you what is best for you.

I will say that I learned about the lap band and thought to myself "why would I want something that isn't permanent?  I want to PERMANENTLY lose this weight!!"  just a thought.  (and yes, lap band is/can be permanent) - it's a matter of understanding that whatever you choose, you should choose it with forever in mind.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
DwindlingFlower
on 3/25/10 1:32 am - Quincy, MA
I have personally gone both routes, so if you want to talk about it, we can certainly do that.  First I would say look really honestly at the reasons you are for one and against the other, analyze what type of eater you are, what are your exercise habits like, really take a deep look at yourself and figure out which surgery will give you the best chance at long term weight loss success.

DwindlingFlower

ClareB
on 3/26/10 4:54 am - MA
OK...so I will be gut wrenchingly honest here.  The lap band is CRAP.    There I said it.  I did a ton of research. 

Ask yourself this:  How would leaving a foreign body inside you (theoretically forever) be a less invasive technique.  AND, how could this be safe?   They erode, they slip, they require maintenance fills.  Why would anyone who has time to reflect upon this WANT to do this? 

Dont you want to lose weight forever with a proven method.  The lap band results are NOT impressive.  Look at the studies.  Go to the revision boards.  It does not work well for most people. 

I for one have struggled all my life with my weight.  I did NOT want to struggle anymore.  People who get the lapband struggle.  They need tremendous will power to achieve lasting results, and many who get the lapband, struggle with physical issues such as vomiting or PB'ing as they put it. 

DO NOT GET THE LAP BAND.  My doc does them too.  But every weight loss meeting he has, he basically steers people away from them.  You might ask why he offers them and it is because it is a choice.  People want them...God knows why...but they do. 

If you have a chance to do an honest reflection of yourself, I think that you would find that if you had tremendous will power, you would not need to have any surgery. 

In the end, it is your choice,  But the mere fact that you posted this, means you are probably having great doubts. 

I hope that we have steered you away from the band.

Go look at the VSG board.  It is the surgical equivalent to the band.:  meaning that there is no malabsorption, only restriction.    It is not covered by insurance in this state as of yet (in general..there may be some but most insurers dont)  But it is a good choice for people who dont want the malabsorption.

Good Luck!!!
judex
on 3/26/10 10:41 pm
 I must "weigh" in on this posting. First of all this is my experience .

I originally felt that the lap-band was for me and in '07 did everything necessary to have it done.
Basically it did not work for me. Sometimes it restricted on the 1st bite of food. The next time and most of the time it did not restrict at all. I had fill after fill..I was frustrated and my surgeon was frustrated ..and I "slimed" frequently. I would have to excuse myself and find a bathroom at a restaurant frequently and would be "tied up"  for a while getting my self back in order.
After 5 fills he refused to fill me again and he un-filled me ostensibly to begin again.
This was months into it and no weight loss..

In '09 I made my appt. for RNY had the surgery and am very happy for it. The band had done some minimal erosion but I was ok.
Do your research.
jude

redheadedgirl
on 3/27/10 10:01 am
I agree that this is a very personal decision. I went in thinking I absolutely would only have Lap Band and after much reading and discussion with the surgeon, decided to have the RNY. It was the right decision for me. I have friends who have had both, but I will tell you that the ones who have had lap band basically eat whatever they want in terms of types of food and are losing, but they also go up/down with their weight and struggle with hunger. I know the hunger will also return for me, but I feel as if I am establishing very healthy eating habits and the fear of dumping keeps me from cheating. Good luck with your decision.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views