Looking for a surgeon in the greater Boston area

Interested1
on 3/21/10 8:14 am
Hi!

Can anyone recommend a surgeon for me (or steer me away from the bad ones)?  Thank you so much!

DwindlingFlower
on 3/21/10 9:22 am - Quincy, MA
I don't mean to sound rude at all, but your question honestly is way too vague and makes you come across insensitive.  First of all, you don't specify which surgery you are interested in... as there are many to choose from..... lap-band, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass and others...  It just sounds like there wasn't much thought on your part when you asked the question.  Second, there are many hospitals around the greater Boston area that offer different WLS options, some are small hospitals like St. Elizabeth's and Norwood, or larger hospitals like Tufts and BMC.  People have different reasons for chosing one over the other, sometimes your insurance company has a say so as well and will only cover surgery at a level 1 center, that doesnt mean that a level 2 center isnt fantastic.  Perhaps giving us and providing yourself with more information first would help us help you....

Hope this helped...

DwindlingFlower

Interested1
on 3/21/10 11:47 am
Dwindling Flower,

I'd forgotten that I was posting in the Massachusetts forum, rather than the Lap-Band forum.  I am intersted in Lap-Band.  As for Level 1 or Level 2 Center, They don't matter to me -  what matetrs is the surgeon.  Hopefully, someone can point me to an excllent gastric banding surgeon.

DwindlingFlower
on 3/21/10 12:28 pm - Quincy, MA
Okey Dokey....  I was banded in 2004 by Dr. Nicole Pecquex at St. Elizabeths Hospital in Brighton. She has subsequently been my surgeon in 2 other surgeries... one to revise my slipped lap band and then again this past november to convert me to gastric bypass.  I trust her with my life, obviously she has put me under 3 times lol.  She's a wonderful surgeon and really gets to know you as a person, you are not just a number, you are not forgotten after surgery, she invests time into you to make sure you can be successful long term with your weight loss. 

So, thats my shameless plug for my surgeon lol. check our their website if youd like, talk to other patients here who have had her as a surgeon... see what you think...

DwindlingFlower

RedSox15
on 3/21/10 8:36 pm - MA
Best of luck to you on your journey.

Dr. Scott Shikora at Tufts is wonderful.  He is simply amazing and does both RNY and lap-band.  The program and staff at Tufts is top notch - I would recommend checking out his program at Tufts during your WLS process.
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Interested1
on 3/21/10 9:44 pm
Dear RedSox15,

Thank you so much!  This information is invaluable.  I am definitely leaning towards Tufts. I'll call them today.  Thank you!  And I wish you continued success in your journey!

judex
on 3/22/10 10:39 am
 I had Dr. Janey Pratt at MGH. The best. She removed my lap-band and did an RNY. 

jude
LisaBC86
on 3/21/10 9:24 pm - Bridgewater, MA
You will get many recommendations here ...... Please do your homework though !
Mine was Dr. Schneider from Beth Israel. I wanted a Boston Hospital and Dr. Schneider and his associate Dr. Jones both appeared competent, friendly, approachable, and their practice is solid. I've had no complaints. But you should meet and feell comfortable with them ! This is a great place to start - ask away !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
RedSox15
on 3/21/10 10:59 pm - MA
You're welcome!  I agree with Lisa - you will definitely get a ton of recommendations here .. it's good to be thorough.  Meet with a few different surgeons/hospitals if you want!  :-)
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Krisnet
on 3/22/10 10:38 am
You should also look into the program at Brigham and Women's.  I had a great experience.  I went to Dr. lautz and he was excellent and my hospital stay was a pleasant experience.  Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views