Lowered expectations.

M M
on 3/7/10 10:20 am

I recently started a Facebook group - the Bariatric Bad Girls Club (non discriminatory - there are boys and a couple of surgeons!) and we have had a couple of totally non-scheduled random chats on Stickam (please join and be ready to chat?)  

Last night we chatted.  We were discussing lots of things, but at one point, about expectations after weight loss surgery.  

What did we expect -- what happened -- did you expect the unexpected -- are you holding out for some unrealistic expectations?  

(This is a topic that could be discussed at length, and last night after audio difficulties and a complete room freeze, we lost connection at midnight.)

It was noted that sometimes newbies at weight loss surgery, and those still in the honeymoon stage have set themselves up for a Serious Letdown when it comes to expectations.  

A lot of us go into this here thang thinking "COMPLETE WEIGHT LOSS WITH NO DIFFICULTY!" only to be left with a laundry list of difficulties, and sub par weight loss.  

It was also discussed that newbies have Grand Notions about these things -- and often try to Skool WLS Grads -- about how things should be done.  And, it seems that it isn't until about ... 2+ years later that those folks come around.  It's not that grads want to shoot down pre-ops or honeymooners Unicorns, but...it's pretty inevitable that they fall anyway.

I've heard that at some pre-operative weight loss surgery groups (even in hospital settings) -- WLS grads aren't allowed to share.  

They're asked not to share the reality of what happens after that first 9-12 months.  O-o  (This doesn't surprise me in the least, however, I've been to meetings, and gagged my way through them.)  

People with severe, life-threatening complications directly from WLS are sometimes coerced not to discuss.  "You don't want to scare people."  

One example of a VERY SIMPLE AND OBVIOUS QUESTION THAT IS NOWHERE NEAR SCARY -- a relative newbie -- "Can you eat a normal diet now?"  

We say, "Pretty much,"  "Within reason," "A lot more than we never thought possible, however," and freaking ensues.  

"You're scaring me. You shouldn't be able to eat a whole XXX or a XXX."  

But, most of us long term post ops, can, and most of us have either already regained (once, twice, current, will again) dieted or struggle with keeping calories low enough to avoid regain.  Some, even have to restrict too low, just to avoid gain.

If the honest answer to a simple question like that is so scary -- what about the deeper issues?

Should we avoid telling the truth?  Or should pre-ops be given a little bit more reality to avoid killing the unicorns?

And, why do we avoid these issues?

RedSox15
on 3/7/10 12:03 pm - MA
I'm definitely a newbie (surgery on 12/16) and I liked hearing the stories of all the post-op patients.  I wouldn't feel good if everything was sugar-coated.  It was helpful to know what really happened after surgery (in both the OH community and my hospitals groups) so I would know what I was getting myself into. 

I don't think I would like a program that would restrict its post-op patients from telling pre-op patients their stories and even complications (if any.)  My program was very honest and upfront about both the good and bad aspects of surgery.  I would definitely appreciate the truth from people who have had the surgery.

Sorry if it sounds like I repeated myself alot lol! 
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Dandy_DeeDee
on 3/7/10 11:29 pm
I too am pre-op, and prefer to know the whole story, the good with the bad.  I would feel very betrayed and deceived by any bariatric clinic that would not want to fully educate their patients prior to them making such a life altering decision.  I get annoyed at all the information sessions that I have been to so far precisely because they focus way too much on the results of the "honeymoon" phase.  I also feel that they push one surgery more than others and do not want to answer questions on the other types of surgeries available.  This too I find deceitful and it turns me off of that clinic.   Then again, I get annoyed by the actual patients that show up to these information meetings with absolutely no clue of any aspect of the surgery, the diet, the complications, ...nothing?  How can you show up to a meeting that discusses cutting you open, cutting your stomach, rerouting your intestines (if RNY or DS) etc and not have taken the time to research the procedure?  Would you apply for a job or show up to a job interview without knowing anything about the job you're applying for?  I'd hope not, because if you do I can guarantee you won't get the job or you won't last at the job and a job isn't usually for life like these surgeries are.  I guess ignorance has always been a pet peeve of mine, both in tems of being rude and not knowing what you're talking about.   Another pet peeve of mine is how there seems to be no support for the patients who have WLS after their first year or two, and worse of all for those that have long term complications.  They seem to be left to deal with it all on their own, but they surely were quick to accept the money to do the procedure in the beginning.  I think this is one of my biggest fears, not so much having the complications as not having the support to fix the complications even if that means to reverse the surgery if need be. 

Okay, I think I should stop now as I am trying to touch too many points and that could make my response very long! *Giggles*     To conclude, I do not think we should avoid telling the truth to pre-ops.   I think we avoid these issues because there are just so many of them and the reality is it is a huge topic and many people are already feeling over whelmed with the basics (probably because they didn't do any research on their own and so they come in needing to learn it all in one day)...so the surgeons don't want to scare off their potential clients.... But that's just my opinion.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views