CT Scan and Colonoscopy prep... post op

anewleaf
on 3/4/10 8:08 am
Hey guys,
I am having some issues with my liver (again) and this time my dr is sending me for (another) colonoscopy and a CT scan.  Both exams require drinking large amounts of fluid prior to the event.  I have told both facilities this is impossible for me.  Neither facility "gets" it.  For example, for my CT Scan tomorrow, I have to drink one bottle (it's at least 16 oz) of this prep at bedtime tonight.  Yah, right.  Then another in the morning, and another half a bottle an hour before the procedure, bringing the remaining half of the bottle with me.  This is impossible for me right now.  I'm getting, max, 32 oz of water a day and that's with me really trying.  I'm worried I'll end up dehydrated if I make this my "drink" for the night and day tomorrow.  I'll do it regardless, but am concerned.  And the golytely, just forget it.  I might get an eighth of the drink in me.  Hopefully it'll be enough.

Has anyone else been through this postop?  I'm only two months out....  argh.  And I am positive these tests are all unnecessary and overkill which makes me even more annoyed. 

Just Brooke
on 3/4/10 8:29 am
I had a colonoscopy as a post op ..I only finished half of what I was suppose to drink. They will just have to deal with it because there really is no way you can drink that all in the time frame they want! And even though I only drank half I did a lot of pooping and was still going the morning of the test, I think you'll be ok

Good luck!

anewleaf
on 3/4/10 9:22 am
Thank you, Brooke.  I'm so nervous about these things.. not b/c of the procedure part, but the silly prep stuff. 

PS  We used to live in Dracut, LOVED it, never should have moved away!!!!  We were on Tennis Plaza in the gray condos.  ;-)  

RazzyRobyn
on 3/4/10 9:23 am - West Boylston, MA
Thinking of you dear! Please let us know how you make out!!

I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't. All I can suggest is if they give you a hard time, then tell them to call the Weight Center and to back off from you, you're doing your best! :)

Thinking of you!!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

anewleaf
on 3/4/10 11:01 pm
Thank you, Robyn.  I had a much easier time of the first bottle of prep last night than I thought, and I'm shocked since I never get all my water in.  I'm thinking I'll be okay for the CT scan today, kinda relieved with that!

thinsomeday
on 3/5/10 2:05 am - webster, MA
hold on - what did i miss! ? what is going on with your liver?! 
why a colonoscopy?  why a CT scan? 
sorry you are going thru this!  hugs!
anewleaf
on 3/5/10 4:26 am
You missed nothing!  LOL  My doctor is test happy.  I'm not kidding!  I have elevated AST and hct levels.  I've had elevated AST before, and it's panned out to be nothing.  This time, she's doing the full work up b/c she can't explain why it's happening.  The hct I'd be willing to bet is b/c I'm dehydrated.  The AST, I think I just have a funky liver.  Fatty liver has been ruled out (which surprised me).....I have pain on occasion, but it's been that way for (count them with me!) 15 YEARS!   The pain started in college.  I am sure that after all these tests, it's still going to be a mystery and not really a big deal.  Not sure why she ordered a colonoscopy for this, but she did.. it's the second time.  The CT Scan, adbominal/pelvic ultrasounds, and upper GI are all new additions to her repertoire for this with me.  And I just know it's going to be unexplainable.. I didn't even have pain this time, just routine bloodwork for my physical and all this craziness ensued!  8-)

Krisnet
on 3/11/10 8:30 am
Good luck with your tests.  I don't think your taking in enough fluid.  I'm 2 months post-op and my doctor requires 64 oz fluid a day.  I did get dehydrated in the beginning, but now I really try to get my fluid in.  Good Luck!
anewleaf
on 3/11/10 10:59 am
Thanks! 
The CT scan went well... I was able to drink the prep!  For whatever reason, I can drink more of that than water.  Not sure why, but it went down easier, didn't feel full/pressure, etc.  They found a lesion on my liver, so I was able to cancel the colonoscopy.  Woohoo!

Yes, I'm definitely slightly dehydrated.  I used to drink a minimum of 6 of those 16 oz bottles of water a day--that's 96 oz of water alone.  Sometimes would also get an iced coffee (decaf).  So at first I felt a major difference/shift in my fluids and called to see if this was okay.  For me, at this point, they're happy if I get 48 oz in a day.  That's happened once.  I am getting closer though, this week consistenly have hit 40 oz.  Almost there!  My Dr. told me as long as my mouth wasn't dry and my urine wasn't neon I'm good! LOL!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views