UMASS Gals

thinsomeday
on 3/3/10 12:02 am - webster, MA
Hey there -

A few questions...

What is the B12 doese/day...i think mine are 500's...

I have switched to calcuim capsules...couldn't deal with chewing the tabs...that's OK, right?  How many mg/day do you take in?

For those of you that have had your 6 month post op...what does that meeting consist of?  Do they do lab work?  How do you get the results of that?  I have Dr. Kelly and meet with the nut that same day.  (April 8th).  Did any of you have poor lab work and have to do/take more of anything? 

Ummmm....i think that is all for now!

I already can't wait for the meeting on the 25th!

Kat
Mara C.
on 3/3/10 12:48 am - Millbury, MA
I am interested in the answers you get too!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
anewleaf
on 3/3/10 1:17 am
oops!  I forgot to email you when I got home.

for the B12, I get 500mcg.  This is the exact amount recommended in our packet from our groups.  I also take Caltrate 600D twice a day, we need between1000-1200mg a day, this gives me 1200. 

For the Calcium, you also want to make sure you're getting 800 IU of Vitamin D/day, so that's 400 IU for each chewable (not sure how the tablets/capsules go)

My guess would be they'd prefer you to take the caplet than nothing, but just give Gloria a call and make sure.  I'm betting it's not a big deal.  ;-)  I can't believe it's almost your 6 months already. Holy smokes.

RazzyRobyn
on 3/3/10 9:42 am, edited 3/3/10 9:42 am - West Boylston, MA

Hey Kat and the UMASS girls...

I had to reschedule my 6-month follow-up appointment with Dr. Kelly last month and I'm going tomorrow to see him. I will admit I have not been my best at taking everything consistently until about 2 weeks ago when I decided to start training for a 1/2 marathon. Anyway, they want you to get your blood drawn about 2 weeks or up to 2 days prior to your appointment. So I'm assuming that Dr. Kelly will be going over the results and I'm fearful I will be in trouble with him, but we will see!

I will let you all know how it goes and what to expect.  :)

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

RazzyRobyn
on 3/4/10 2:08 am - West Boylston, MA
So I saw Dr. Zhou (very nice too!) instead of Dr. Kelly today and he calculated that I have lost 70% of my excess weight, which by definition, is what the surgery is supposed to do. At this point my weight loss will slow and I will have to work hard between diet and exercise to get teh last 15-25 pounds off. (I want to be down 15-25 pounds more.)  My bloodwork looked good except iron, I'm a litte anemic, but nothing major.  I also met with my nutritionist and she's happy with my progress as well.

Overall two good appointmetns, I get to go back in September for a nutrition appointment and surgical appointment. They will check the blood again too.

I was bummed not to see Dr. Kelly as I wanted to thank him for my surgery. I know most of it is on me, but I still wanted to thank him. Maybe in September.
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

jdr1208
on 3/3/10 10:20 pm - Worcester, MA
kat, i have no idea the doses i just take them, but i actually had my 6 month check up at 7 months. and basically i was told i am not doing something right. he checked my food journal, talked about my exercise, basically i was told theres something wrong since i have only lost 70 lbs and thats not enough, he wants to see me in 3 months and if i havent lost 100 total by my year he wants to go over my other options. pretty much left there feeling like ive failed yet again. i hope your appointment goes better than mine!
hugs
jill
Katie H.
on 3/5/10 1:35 pm - Charlton, MA

When I went for my 6 month with Dr. C, they drew my blood right there in the office and I got a copy of the results mailed to me - which I thought was great because I'm a nerd and like to look at stuff like that, I'm sure I probably still have it somewhere!!

My Vitamin D was low and they initially prescribed me a wicked high dose, but I didn't want to go that route (mostly because it was $65 for the prescription and I was not down for that), so I started taking the Caltrate +D twice a day as well as a separate Vitamin D capsule and have had no further problems with any of my labs. 

And really, six months already?!?! Holy crap, where does the time go???? 

Is it bad that I'm ready for our meeting again??

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views