dr.jiser from lowell general

tipa
on 2/24/10 6:42 am
has any one had dr jiser from lowell general hosp? is there program good??
Sue M.
on 2/24/10 11:29 am - Nantucket, MA
i know there are a few folks from that program around - they'll show up. 

Lowell was my first choice program (i was living in Lowell when i had my surgery), but ended up elsewhere due to insurance restrictions - but I found the program in Lowell to be great and haven't heard a negative thing about it.

Good luck!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Just Brooke
on 2/24/10 9:11 pm
I had Dr. Shore who is in the same program as Jiser! It is a good program. The after care is just as good if you follow through with the program. I think a lot of people have surgery and then no one sees them again. I go to the post op meetings often and you'll even see me at some of the pre op meetings sometimes too!

Bevangelista
on 2/25/10 12:46 am
The LGH program is great.  It is a Bariatric center of excellence.  Dr. Shen did my RNY on 1/19.  I chose him because he's the only one who routinely puts in a drain.  I've had issues before with fluids collecting and incisions opening (with a c-section) so I really wanted to have a drain to prevent that. 

I found Dr. Jiser to be rather arrogant at the information session but I've heard that he has a great bedside manner.  He responded to a weekend medical call that I had to make after the surgery, and he was very nice.  Dr. Shen is the head of surgery at LGH, I think, so extremely proficient, but he's not super-friendly.  My surgery went extremely well and I healed with no problems at all.

The LGH clinic offers pre-op and post-op support groups, exercise classes, a Yahoo group, clothing swaps, and great nutritional counseling.  They do a really nice job.

Barbara

Doesn't include 8 lbs lost pre-surgery        
JanelleE
on 2/25/10 12:48 am
I had Dr. Jiser. Recently, too. Im 6 weeks out. He was good as a surgeon, and came into the hospital to see you after and was with you before the surgery and everything. He also has been performing the surgeries longer then the other two at LGH, and so has a few more under his belt.

All the surgeons here have lots of experience though.

I had Bypass, which are you going for? The procedure is the same up to a certain point for both. We have to attend the info session, pay half the $400 program fee after that (they do offer financing options!). Before you can be submitted to your insurance though, you must meet with every member of their team from dietition to psychologist, to surgeon. You must do weekly weigh ins too, and get down to a set goal weight before surgery.

After that though, my insurance approved me on a Monday, I was in for surgery the next Monday. Thats where this place differs from some others, like Newton Wellesly. Other places might submit you earlier, but with a longer wait time for surgery dates. Here, you dont get submitted till later, but the wait is extremely short for dates after because of this.

~Janelle
tipa
on 2/25/10 4:09 am
what insurance did you have??
JanelleE
on 2/25/10 4:19 am
Harvard Pilgrim. I know others are harder to work with.
MultiMom
on 2/25/10 4:30 am - NH
I had/have Dr Jiser and can't say enough good about him and the program at LGH. He isn't a teddy bear type, but very open, understandable and excellent at his job. Message me if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help :)

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views