hello all, newbie here

s0ftballgurrl77
on 2/18/10 1:38 am - Waltham, MA
i have been reading the posts here for about 3 months but have never actually posted anything. i dont really have anything earth shattering to say (gasp!) but i just wanted to say hello to everyone and that i think your all doing a great job! 

i met with the surgeon yesterday for the second time and got a surgery date... march 8th... thats in 3 weeks!  im excited and nervous all at the same time.  im looking for any good tips or suggestions about how to deal with the nervous feelings. 

thanks,
MB
Mara C.
on 2/18/10 1:46 am - Millbury, MA
Congratulations!  All I can think of is to tell you to follow your surgeon's orders to the "t" and it will all be fine.  Good luck to you, and hope you speak up more! ;)  There are a lot of great people here with a lot of great knowledge.  I'll be thinking of you 3/8 (it's the day after my daughter's birthday!)  Let us know how things go!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
tauntonredsox33
on 2/18/10 2:17 am - Taunton, MA
Welcome MB !!!!
The day will be here b4 you know it!  How exciting!!! 
Yes follow your surgoen's orders and you will be just fine!!!
Keep us posted
Melissa
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Sue M.
on 2/18/10 3:03 am - Nantucket, MA
Hi there - from a Waltham neighbor! 

My advice:  ask questions.  ask here, ask your doctor, your nut, your PCP, anyone.  Information is good for you.

Nervous/excited is normal.  You're doing a big thing, changing your whole life, and it will be worth it, but it's scary and exciting at the same time.  Keep busy these next few weeks making sure your house is stocked with things you'll need (chewable vitamins, protein samples, etc).  I know it flew by for me.

Also, start practicing sipping, chewing, putting your fork down between bites.  Sounds silly, but it's never too early to practice that!

Welcome!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
tauntonredsox33
on 2/18/10 11:31 pm, edited 2/18/10 11:38 pm - Taunton, MA
LOOK at you skinny minnie!!!!  Love the new pic!!!!
I need to update my pics on here!!!

******* EDIT !!!  Ok just checked out your 10 month photo shoot!!!!!!  YOU SOOOO ROCK AMAZING !!!  lOVE THE CALF SHOT!!! **********
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
Eliza123
on 2/18/10 9:12 am

HI MB!  

Welcome and congrats!   I think Sue gives some excellent advice - you don't realize how much of an adjustment it is to slow down and really chew your food!   I would also recommend starting to avoid drinking 30 minutes before and after meals.  That is the hardest thing for me.  Maybe start with 15 minutes before / after.

As for the nerves...that is hard.   I almost backed out the week before - I'm glad I didn't.   I tried to think of what my life would be like without the weight - things I would be doing that I couldn't do before - the energy that I would have.  I envisioned myself thinner and that helped alot.  Its also good to have a supportive person talk you through your jitters - my hubby was a lifesaver!

This forum is great - so much support and knowledge...glad you are aboard!

- Eliza

GB 12/9 (248/200/145)

self_love22
on 2/19/10 3:01 am
Congrats. You will love the new you. This is the beginning of all things new. I have no regrets and I admit as much research as I did there were so many things I did not know so go in with an open mind and ready to be a loser.  As far as feeling nervous, celebrate the fact that you are making the best decision to change your life around for the better. No need to be nervous.  Stay away from negative people, surround yourself with supportive people, and prepare in advance. Look into protien foods, have a variety of choices, and think protien protien protien.

If I can do it, anyone can.  I am the wimpiest of wimps but I'm a winner at being a weight loss loser.

DwindlingFlower
on 2/19/10 8:16 am - Quincy, MA
Congratulations and welcome officially to OH!!  Dr. Pecquex is my surgeon as well, have we met at any of the support group meetings?  Keep in touch and let us know how everything is working out for you along the way and of course if you need anything, just shout!!

DwindlingFlower

s0ftballgurrl77
on 2/21/10 2:00 am - Waltham, MA
hello! yes i beleive we sort of met at the meeting i went to.  you were 22 days post op at that point... hows it going??  i love dr pecquex, she is so straight forward with EVERYTHING, i think thats what i like best about her. she doesnt seem to hold anything back :) 

im sure i will need lots of advice. i have a little over 2 weeks to go, and im so excited!

thanks for the words of wisdom!
-mb
s0ftballgurrl77
on 2/21/10 2:02 am - Waltham, MA

thanks for all the great advice everyone!  i think its really going to help me along the way, ive been stocking up on my protein drinks a little over 2 weeks to go- the reality of the whole thing is starting to set in.  i cant wait to start my new life! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views