Need some meal ideas

anewleaf
on 2/4/10 7:16 am
Hi,
I'm 4 weeks out, have been eating again for a week, and am already bored of my choices.  We tried tacos tonight, and I couldn't deal with the texture of the ground beef.  And chewing and chewing, it just was not a productive meal for me.  I have not hit my protein goals yet since I've been back on food, not even close.  I've been having mostly yogurts, eggs, cheese, chicken and occasionally cream of wheat.  The cream of wheat I can enjoy, but it's not much protein.  Yogurts I get maybe 2oz before I'm done.  Eggs usually less than a quarter of an egg, cheese maybe one oz at a serving.  I'm looking for other food ideas, I think I might try to make a veggie soup for myself, but it will have little protein (it does have beans in it, though, this is pretty much the only way I can tolerate beans, is in soup). 

I'm really not hungry, but am very frustrated b/c I know I need to get my protein in.  I'm getting 3 meals a day.  I'm also having a had time getting my fluids in.  So far, I've been getting about 16 oz a day.  I try very hard but I just can't fit more in right now.  I am frustrated and a little concerned about my lack of calories, protein, and water.

Any advice?
Thanks.

Just Brooke
on 2/4/10 8:08 am
I live on chicken because I can make so many different things with it and it's good in protein! 

I would definitely stay away from things like tacos. Too spicy (right now) and unless you bought really good quality ground beef ..it usually doesn't sit well in a lot of people. Tacos sit OK with me ..I usually have just 1, but it's followed by a lot of trips to the bathroom going #2.

The rule of thumb with my surgeon is ..if you can't get enough protein in through food you need to substitute it with protein shakes. And shakes are FOR LIFE for a lot of post ops!

anewleaf
on 2/4/10 8:33 am
Thanks, Brooke. 

How do you make your chicken?  I found out that I can't do shake n bake anymore, and there's only so many nights I can have a baked breast.  I have also done chicken salad a few days, which was okay... I know it'll get easier when I can add veggies and things to spice things up a bit, but for now, I'm out of ideas.  I have a few recipes I can try, too...  like turkey chili and other chicken meals.  I guess it's time to try them out!

Thanks again!

Just Brooke
on 2/4/10 9:52 am
The crock pot is my friend!!! Actually, I only eat chicken in the CP. I would just browse crock pot websites and see what appeals to you. 

Sue M.
on 2/4/10 9:35 am - Nantucket, MA

the crock pot can be your friend during this time... it really softens up meats.  I couldn't eat ground beef early out, but pot roast rocked, grilled/baked chicken with spices/sauces went down easy. 

I still start my day with a shake cuz it's the easiest way to get breakfast and start off the day with protein.

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
anewleaf
on 2/4/10 11:21 am
awesome, thanks!

joe01880
on 2/6/10 1:26 am, edited 2/6/10 1:36 am - Wakefield, MA

Turkey Meatloaf,

I love this stuff, is very pouch friendly.

1lb 97% lean ground turkey

2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 cup Ketsup

1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper

1 egg

1 tbspn of basil or grated cheese or both..if you want

Mix all that stuff together in a large bowl then put it in a bread pan.

OR

You can roll it into little meatballs, serving size would not change but you will have to watch the internal temp of the meatballs closely to prevent over cooking them, if the meat gets to dry your pouch may not like it, you can always add a sauce to this, a low sugar Red sauce works well as does a SF low fat gravy. If your one who can still tollerate read meat (I cant) this recipe works really great with hamburger.

Preheat the over to 375 degrees and bake for aprox. 1 hour or until the internal temp of the meatloaf is 165 degrees.

A serving size is 2 or 3oz (weighed) depending on how far along you are. Protein is aprox. 18 grams and calories are aprox. 200 per 3oz serving.

Its very tasty... Enjoy!

Joe Was Here 

Failure is not an option!

anewleaf
on 2/6/10 9:39 am
Joe, thank you!  I will definitely try this!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views