Pain when I laugh (2.5 weeks postop)

anewleaf
on 1/25/10 3:46 am
Hey Guys,
I wanted to see if this happens to anyone else before I just call the office, I'm a little bit concerned that something happened to my insides when I was laughing, really hard and pretty much uncontrollably earlier today.  It's happened a couple of times, but this one was the worst and still kind of bothering me occassionally.  The good news is.. I'm *really* laughing again.  It's been awhile!

Whenever I laugh hard, I do feel a pain in my left side, and it feels almost like one of my incisions opening up, and I look, and the incision is fine, but I also realize it's a little to the left of the incision site, which is why I'm concerned, I'm wondering if I laughed so hard that something started to open up inside, just under the incision area.  I keep having a sharp pain every few minutes.  If it doesn't get worse, I can deal, but if it becomes more constant, I'm definitely going to call Dr. K's office.. but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else?  

Laughter's supposed to be good for you!!! LOL!

Sue M.
on 1/25/10 4:32 am - Nantucket, MA
I would call anyway, just to make sure, but it's probably just bugging someplace inside that is still healing.  My concern is that it's not stopped even though you are done laughing (but YAY for laughing).  Be ready to tell them what kind of pain it is - sharp, dull, throbbing and what # on a scale of 1-10 it is. 

I don't recall having this experience...I had virutally no pain after my RNY until my hernia 13 months later.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
RazzyRobyn
on 1/25/10 9:05 am - West Boylston, MA
I would call Dr. Kelly just to make sure. I don't remember experiencing this either. When in doubt I always call the office.  I know I called a few times during the first 4 weeks post-op and Robin Mason and Dr. Kelly were always so kind to me and never made me feel like I should not have called... so give them a call.  Please keep us posted dear!
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

self_love22
on 1/25/10 11:57 pm
I remember doing this same thing 2 weeks out. I returned to work and my coworkers had me laughing so hard I thought I pulled something. It felt as though something had torn inside. It was a constant pain- at times dull but still constant. It subsided two weeks later. I foolishly didn't contact my doctor because I was elated that I had laughing pain. I'm 8 weeks out and I'm lucky it was nothing but I say follow your gut. If you're concerned enough to post it then follow through with a call to the doctor.  After all, it could be nothing and you'll be happy that your laughing pain reminded you that you are feeling again and feeling good.

Congrats!

thinsomeday
on 1/26/10 10:06 pm - webster, MA
hey there -
i remember watching ellen 2 weeks post op and she revealed a "bad paid for photo" and i lost it.  fell off the couch and onto the floor the pain was so bad - a few days later was having a game night with friends and thought i was going to have to leave...it all went away after a month i think.  i also had that coughing issue and was told it was all normal.  i also felt a gushing feeling at the left incision site with i would laugh or cough - was told my dr kelly it was normal.  i was convinced i was leaking! 
did you call?
anewleaf
on 1/27/10 12:56 am
No, I didn't call.  It subsided by that night, and the next day I was sore, like I had done a lot of situps, but not that same shart pain.  I would have called if it became something more constant than the fleeting stabbing pain, but it didn't.  ;-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views