Frustrated

LisaBC86
on 1/18/10 8:09 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Ok so as most of you know I was away with hubby this weekend. I was fairly careful about what I ate - although we ate out so......... and I did have a couple of bites of a chocolate cake BUT it was only a couple of bites - certainly not what I would have done pre -op which would have been eat the whole thing !! I did a bit more snacking but I was hungry which I think was because of all the walking.

I worked out every morning for at least 1/2 an hour and on Saturday and Sunday we must have walked over 10 miles - so essentially probably the most exercise I've had in years so.........

how is it that this morning (usually weigh in on Monday but we were still away) I GAINED a lb.?

This is the 2nd time I've gained ---- Ok I know the whole thing about sometimes we will, and appreciate the non scale victories BUT here is my concern - I have what I hope is a long time left here on this planet of ours and there are going to be days that I slip, make a bad choice, just want the treat (however you want to refer to it) how are we ever to keep it off ??? Because right now I"m 9 months out - my "tool" is still working - so if it wasn't what would I have ganined - I'm frightened to think about it !!  And if I hadn't exercised ? I mean it isn't as if I ate that much more = I didn't - certainly now a lbs. worth of calories  !!!!

I know - there are no easy answers and I should move on past this and get over it - and I will - but for this morning I needed to vent !!!!!!

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
RazzyRobyn
on 1/18/10 8:55 pm - West Boylston, MA
Lisa,

I hear you on this, I really do. I don't have an answer either, I just know that whenever I seem to step up my exercise I either have a small gain or no change on the scale the week following.

Just keep at it and hopefully our bodies will catch up with the exercise we are doing.

Hugs to you... and by the way you're doing great!!!

Robyn
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

LisaBC86
on 1/18/10 9:30 pm - Bridgewater, MA
Thanks Robyn, sometimes it just helps to know that others are going through the same thing - I mean I know they are but sometimes we lose site of that - and it becomes all about "ME" lol

Generally when I step up my exercise I DO see a better weight loss - at this point things have slowed so much and I'm ok with that but gaining after all the exercise - ughh and I know maybe it's muscle but I doubt it !! lol

Thanks though !!

That's why this board is SO great !

Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

OH Support Group Leader
CATHERINE81
on 1/18/10 10:12 pm - BROCKTON, MA
lisa i only get weighed once a month and only lost 9 last month so i could of easily went up or down dont feel bad i promised my self im down 99 went im at 200 or 199 ill buy a scale and ill weigh every monday like you :) we can share happy YEAH na d oh GOD moments.. hope this made you smile cant wait to see you next week
anewleaf
on 1/18/10 11:23 pm
I think sometimes when we exercise excessively like that out of the blue our bodies hold onto more water.  See what happens in a couple of days and make sure you're back to your usual eating pattern.  I've seen it myself several times over the years, when I really try hard at the gym I go up at first, but then, all of a sudden, it starts coming off.  But, the trick is not losing your mojo when you see it go up at first and keep at it. 
LisaBC86
on 1/19/10 12:55 am - Bridgewater, MA
Thanks !! It's a little frustrating but you're right - and I didn't give up - I was on the treadmill today - just worries me more long term But that is why I plan on stepping on the scale EVERY Monday - so I can lose one or two and not be looking at a 20 lb. gain. Interestingly I hadn't thought of the fluid gain - although I should have - cuz I stepped on the scale last night - I ALWAYS weigh in the morning it it actually said I gained TWO lbs. went to bed and got up this morning and it was only a gain of one - so fluid definately could be the issue !! 

Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

OH Support Group Leader
kawkbw
on 1/18/10 11:38 pm - MA
I think we have all felt this Lisa!  I think with you exercising alot and even eating out all weekend, your body is probably retaining fluid.  Our weight can fluctuate by a few pounds here and there.  It's not like you gained 10 pounds!!  LOL... I think you should look at the fact that 1: you exercised (where maybe before you wouldn't have before). 2:  you only had a few bites of cake where as before you would have had the whole piece and maybe even more!  Look at the goals you accomplished this weekend!!!
LisaBC86
on 1/19/10 12:57 am - Bridgewater, MA
Very true Kristen ! Thanks ! This is why we need the support to remind us that even when we've failed (for lack of a better word) we have still succeeded in different ways !!! So I'm letting it go (sort of - lol) and moving on !!! 

Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

OH Support Group Leader
MaeFB
on 1/19/10 12:33 am - Townsend, MA
Don't lose hope Lisa! You're doing SO amazing, just look back at where you started! We're all here for you! And don't worry yourself. 

Hon, last month I lost ten pounds total. But at some point during the month the scale said I'd gain FIVE pounds. I hadn't even been bad, not really. All sorts of things can affect your weight. The pills you take, stress, a certain time of month, when you weigh yourself, what you're wearing, water weight from swollen work-out muscles, weight from building muscles... It may not EVEN be your 'treats' that caused the gain.

BELIEVE me, I know how much of a little mini-heart-attack it can give you, seeing the scale edge UP instead of down. BELIEVE me. And I freaked out and re-analyzed everything I'd eaten and over thought all of it... In the end, don't worry, you'll lose that one pound again, and MANY more! You're doing SO awesome! I know it's hard to hear, right now, in this moment, when we're all so tired of the yo-yo game we've been living for years. (Turns out my weight gain was some water weight from that time of the month.) 

Don't lost hope, remember it's one pound. You know how we keep this weight off? By wanting to keep it off more than anything else in the world, we'll make sure we keep it off. Look into exercise you might like. (I HAAATE EXERCISE OH MY GOD SO MUCH) I started taking karate. It's fun! It doesn't feel like exercise. ;D Anyways, I guess I've rambled enough. 

LisaBC86
on 1/19/10 1:00 am - Bridgewater, MA
Thanks - It all makes sense !! But it's so nice to hear !! Thanks !!!

Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

OH Support Group Leader
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views