I'm letting it all out.....

Just Brooke
on 1/15/10 6:40 am
If you are on my Facebook than you know about chronic pain with my lower back and sciatic nerve. For those who don't know here is the scoop and I need HELP!!!

We (me and all of my random doctors) think this is purely coincidence but the same month I stopped losing weight (December 2008) I started having a lot of pain in my back. I would complain on obesityhelp and other various places and people would tell me "oh it's just your body adjusting to a new body". Well I let that go on for a few months.

Over the summer I started going to physical therapy. I was discharged after 4 week's of NO improvement. I did purchase an E-Stim machine that helps but only while I'm connected to it.

Here we are over a year later and it's even worse. I'm getting steroid injections. I've done every test - MRI, X-Ray, Bone Tensity Scan, etc. My pain management doctor is new, just started seeing him before Christmas. But I'm at a loss. I've had massages and my friend who is a yoga teacher is going to show me a few things at home.

Just to give you an idea of the pain that I'm experiencing ...I had surgery on Wednesday, woke up in recovery, and received a LOT of morphine through my IV ...the pain in my back hurt but my legs from the sciatica were KILLING me! It was worse than the actual pain I was having from a totally unrelated surgery. 

I can't do much of anything anymore. It hurts to drive. It's hard for me to grocery shop so I never go alone anymore. Any kind of bending over is hard. When I clean I have to take breaks.

I'm just so sad. I lost weight to not have to be this way! Seriously, I have more problems now than I did when I was fat. It's so frustrating to come so far and get knocked back down.

Well ..my point in posting is to find ANYONE who is the same boat! I need to explain other peoples situations to my team of doctors so we can find answers. 

RazzyRobyn
on 1/15/10 10:16 am - West Boylston, MA
Did you try posting this to the main forum? I'm just thinking about how you can reach out to as many people as possible.  Hugs to you!!

I wish I had some advice but I don't. I know  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

kjdcolts66
on 1/16/10 12:07 am - Pawtucket, RI
I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

My background:
I had a microdiscetomy done in May, 2009 on the disc between L4-L5.  My sciatica was incredibly painful and although I was working, I wasn't doing anything else but sitting because of the pain.  I was feeling really good from the surgery and was finally able to move and do things without any pain. 
I then got my date for my RNY for September 22, 2009.  I was in the hospital for 3 days (normal for my dr.) and took IV medication for the back and leg pain, NOT the RNY pain.  I got up and walked, as directed but hated getting in and out of bed because of the pain.  As the weight started coming off, my pain lessened and I didn't take any pain medication for several months.  Within the last month, though, the muscle tightness, spasms, pain have returned. 
I have a feeling that the disc has ruptured again and instead of removing the 'overflow' part, I'm going to have to have the disc removed/replaced.

Feel free to PM me here.  I know what you are dealing with and it's not fun!

~kelly jo

Sue M.
on 1/16/10 12:35 pm - Nantucket, MA
I don't have the pain you endure, but I do understand chronic pain.  I hope someone is able to help you soon.  Unfortunately, sometimes we have to seek out our own answers (a la Melting Mama). 

Best of luck!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
kawkbw
on 1/17/10 10:36 pm - MA
Geez, I'm sorry you have to go through all this!!  I don't have any answers for you but I hope you start to feel better VERY soon!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views