Plastics with BCBSMA

Dawn the Twinsmom
on 1/13/10 8:58 pm - Worcester, MA

I doubt anyone remembers me, but I see so many NEW faces!!! YAY for all of you!

Ok, I previously had Tufts, and as those of you with Tufts know, they are real arse holes about approving anything. I am suprised you do not have to take classes before having a baby, just so that they will cover it!

Anyhow, I now have BCBSMA, and am going to try again for the plastics. Has anyone with this insurance gotten easily approved for plastics? or was it a fight? what kind of documentation did you have to have or turn in? How long did it take? I know the excess skin on my panni, while not an INCREDIBLE amount, does hang over the top of pubic area, and the thighs are baggy on the inside. I lso have muscle spasms in my back, quite possibly caused from the weight of the hanging skin.

anyhow, did you get plastics covered, and how did you do it?

thanks,

Dawn

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life.

MultiMom
on 1/13/10 11:22 pm - NH
Hi Dawn,

I have BCBSMA and got my panni approved with no problem. I haven't had rashes at all. There are before and after (six weeks out now) on my profile. I have heard that there are some plastic surgeons that don't even try for approval.

Good luck!
Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Just Brooke
on 1/13/10 11:41 pm
I don't have that insurance but had a panniculectomy 7 months post op. I was approved in like 2 weeks! My plastic surgeon told me just about every insurance covers a panniculectomy because it's not considered cosmetic. She also said she never saw an insurance pay for any lifts, tucks, etc. I tried to get my thighs done and my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Sue M.
on 1/14/10 4:24 am - Nantucket, MA
Hi Dawn!

I was "notCasey" for a while - but I remember you!  I hope life is going well!  I've still got Tufts, so I'm going to start collecting aluminum cans for my plastics! 

Good to "see" you!

Sue
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
nicunicu2002
on 1/14/10 9:46 pm - Sharon, MA
hi Dawn..

I have BCBSMA and the initial submission from my PS was denied.  I wrote a letter along with my PCP about the need to have the skin removed b/c of rashes etc and sent it to the appeal committee.  They approved the panni within a few days of reviewing the appeal.

Good luck!

kim

Katie H.
on 1/16/10 1:22 am - Charlton, MA
This is good news to hear!!

I have BCBSMA as well and am going to be looking into getting plastics next fall.  It's nice to hear that it doesn't seem to be that troublesome!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

jereyes
on 1/16/10 7:32 am - Tyngsboro, MA
I have  BCBSMA and I was denied 3 times by three different plastic surgeons.  I ended up being a self paid patient.  Good Luck!
DwindlingFlower
on 1/16/10 11:18 am, edited 1/16/10 11:18 am - Quincy, MA
I used to have Cigna, and though I had doctors letters of necessity and all that jazz, I jumped through hoops for over a year trying to get them to cover my tummy tuck with no luck, so I finally paid for it myself, and added on a breast augmentation and breast lift at the same time, since it reduces the cost when you lump them together.  It cost a pretty penny but I would do it again, as it desperately needed to be done.  Good luck with getting yours covered. BTW, I had my plastics at Memorial Hospital in Worcester, my surgeons name was Dr. Lalikos, a woman, I would go back to her again if I ever needed anything.

DwindlingFlower

Katie H.
on 1/16/10 11:38 am - Charlton, MA
Good to know, UMass is my home base for all my WLS stuff.  My surgeon told me at my year appointment to start taking pictures of rashes (and if I "needed to not use powder for a few days before I take pictures that's okay") and making lists of "things that weren't working right" due to the extra skin (sex, shaving legs/hoo-ha etc...). 

From what I've heard from others at the monthly discussion groups at UMass they really work  well with the patients to advocate to get plastics covered...we shall see!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views