Day 4 Post Op and kind of a mess

anewleaf
on 1/10/10 5:41 am
I've been home alone all day, so have had way too much time to sit here and feel sorry for myself.  I am having a really hard day.  I feel like I'm hormonal or something.  Can't drink much at all, feel so thirsty though, and have diarrhea on top of my thirst.. just not feeling great.  The pain isn't bad though, haven't taken anything since yesterday's tylenol.  So the pain isn't bad, just have so many thoughts and am hoping in time I'll feel better.  Today is the first hard day emotionally.  I guess it'll teach me to get through the tough times without food for a crutch!  Had to happen sometime!

Anyone else feel like this at the beginning??
atg106
on 1/10/10 8:07 am
This is normal.  I hope you have found a decent protein which you can tolerate for the first month of food.  Make sure to get enough water in, as being dehydrated will hurt you severely.

If you haven't found your protein shake of choice - I'd look at vitalady.com to sample some potential choices which may sound appetizing.

Although it's icy, make sure to get up and about as the surgery requires movement to prevent blood clots.  I'm not expecting to you to start the run in Hopkinton, but a jaunt down the mall or somewhere not so slippery isn't the worst thing right now.

You've done one of the hardest things to go through surgery - there will be more tough things to endure though.

Good Luck!
Sue M.
on 1/10/10 9:25 am - Nantucket, MA
it's an emotional time.  You are completely normal! 

sip sip sip, walk around your house when you can. 

You will feel better soon - you'll just wake up one day and forget you felt like crap!  Don't forget to call friends and family and talk to people, it's good for your brain - or log into OH and participate like you did today!

*HUGS*
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
DwindlingFlower
on 1/10/10 9:16 pm - Quincy, MA
completely normal!!  My worst emotional day was 5 days after surgery, I was a balling mess thats for sure.  You need to get it out though, dont let it stay couped up in you.  Call your family, your friends, you need that support right now. Start writing in a journal if you want just to get the emotions out, theres also a chat option on OH< try that too.  Like the others said though make sure you are atleast drinking liquids.  Hope you feel better!!  The worst will soon be behind you and youll be off to turn that new leaf.

DwindlingFlower

Mara C.
on 1/10/10 11:12 pm - Millbury, MA
Yup, totally normal like everyone said, and I agree with all the advice given already.  Just hang in there, the first few weeks are the worst but will be all worth it.  Just make sure you are getting your fluids now if nothing else.  Best Wishes, you can do this!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
thinsomeday
on 1/11/10 2:59 am - webster, MA
are you up for mall walking?  we can meet up at greendale? 
hugs!
anewleaf
on 1/11/10 3:57 am
Thanks everyone.  Today is much better.. but I am not alone, I have distractions. Now I get why people said to stay busy, b/c whenever I have down time I am thinking about this and just circling with negative thoughts, but with company here, I'm not able to do that as much.  I'm pretty much back to my regular activities.  I'm dying to pick up my daughter, but for now, have settled with snuggling with her on the couch before bedtime.  I'm dying to get out, I might take her this afternoon, after her nap, to the Y to play in the Kids Gym there.  

I'd love to meetup at Greendale.  Maybe tomorrow or Thursday?  She's in school those days so it would be easier for me to get there.  Thanks for the offer. 

I'm feeling slightly less overwhelmed today, I talked to the nutritionist and she told me if I can get 4 packets of CIB in a day, I'd be doing okay, and I'm trying hard to do that.  I just realized, that it's been one week today since I've had any food.  Wow.  And I'm not hungry. This is so weird.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views