UMASS & St. Vincent's (Worc Medical) programs??

MrsClaus09
on 1/6/10 10:53 am
If you are going through the program at either UMASS or St. V's (Worcester Medical), could you please share the "steps" to the program prior to being approved for surgery?  I'm just trying to get an idea as to how programs are similar (and different) in certain ways. 

I am looking at the program at Beth Israel and I have to:
-attend 2 info sessions
-lose 10 lbs
-meet with bariatric medical director
-meet with nutritionist (1 groups session, 1 one-on-one)
-meet with social worker
-meet with surgeon
-get surgery date

Would appreciate it if you could share your "steps" to surgery.  Thanks very much!!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
thinsomeday
on 1/6/10 11:49 pm - webster, MA
@ umass (other umassers help me out here)

attend weight center orientation meeting
attend surgical track orientation meeting
meet with medical director
meet with behaviorist
meet with nutrutionist
attend 4 week (once a week) session (covers more on what to expect, exercise, mindful eating, etc)
attend exercise classes (3 sessions i think)
meet with behaviorist one more time
surgery date

i went to my first orientation in sept 08, met with med director dec. 08 and had my surgery oct 09.  almost a year.  there were lots of people that went thru it faster tho.

hope that helps.  it does seem like a lot - but i was well prepared. 
michellelee30
on 1/12/10 1:01 pm - Auburn, MA
Fallon Clinic/Worc Med

-Attend Group Info Session
-Meet with Medical doctor within Fallon Clinic for physical and blood work
-Attend group NUT class
-set -up one on one monthly NUT meetings
-Meet one-on-one with Behavior Med
-set up 6 week group behavior med meetings that meet once a week then follow up monthly there after
-lose required 5% weight
-continue one on one behavior med meetings if required (this is only needed if they feel you are someone who would benifit from extra individual counceling)

The "TEAM" (each provider from above, including surgeons) meets monthly to discuss patients once they meet the above requirements.  If you met all the above requirements when the team meets the decide if you are ready to move forward for a consult with the surgeon and if so they approve you that day, if not you continue the above meetings and the team discusses your progress each month until you are ready.  If you passed nutrition will call you within a wk of the TEAM meeting to let you know you passed and tell you surgery will contact you for an appt for consult.  When surgery calls you then book your consult with either Dr. Potter or Arcand and before leaving your consult you sechudule your surgery and all other needed pre-op testing.

Hope this helps, good luck
Michelle

I started the program in Feb 2009 and was in for surgery by 11/19/09 (9 mos), they say the min is 6 months before anyone makes it in to surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views