Gym Ideas in MA? Healthworks?

Weighfaring
on 1/4/10 11:07 am - Westwood, MA
Hi, MA peeps!

I have decided to get my a$$ to a gym...first time in my life.  Im a little nervous, but excited too.  So I checked out Healthworks.  Not cheap, but I liked it.  Anyone have any reviews of good gyms?  I live in the Norwood/Dedham area.  I'd prefer a women's only gym.

Also, any gym experts (or better than newbies like myself)?  I dont know ANYTHING about gym rules.  I know they will teach me when I sign up...but thoughts?  Also, can I use the hot tub and count it towards exercise :)  

Highest Weight: 335, Pre Surgery: 313, Surgery on 11/9/09

nicunicu2002
on 1/4/10 5:26 pm - Sharon, MA
Hi D...

I belong to the LA Fitness there in Walpole and LOVE IT.  they have a pool and the excercise class there has all women, at least the one ive gone to.  Their classes in aerobics, spinning etc are wonderful.  Let me know if you need any more info

kim

NeedhamGal
on 1/4/10 8:10 pm - MA
you should look into the Dedham  60/60. for 60 days they will teach you how to correctly exercise and they have a food/emotional component to it.  They say you need a doc referaal but they will call for you. when you are over your 60 days...they hope you stay and join the gym.
its a great program.
I use a trainer..but it is pricey and I am reconsidering for 2010.  The trainer kept me going to my appts and he did whip my butt.   I didn't really loose pounds, but I lost inches. 
 I think the biggest thing to remember is the delta.  If you don't move much now...any new movement is the change...and relish on that change.  Don't look at the skinny minnies or buff boys in the gym and think you need to be there. You just need to move.
good luck. Joan
LilyGirl06
on 1/6/10 1:20 am - Boston, MA

I've belonged to a woman-only gym in the past and LOVED it.  I don't have any experience with Health Works but women only makes things somewhat more comfortable.  Right now, I'm a member of (but need to get better about going to) Planet Fitness.  While it's not women only, it's definitely one of the more comfortable gyms I've ever been to.  I know they hype up the fact that they are a no-judgment zone but I didn't believe it until I started going.  Honestly, there are people there of all shapes, ages, sizes, etc.  I also like that the free weights area is totally separate and away from the cardio equipment.  There are a ton of machines and at $10 a month, I figured I couldn't go wrong. 

Good luck finding a place that's right for you!  Hahaha, and nice try on the hot tub counting as exercise

C J
on 1/6/10 12:03 pm - Franklin, MA
Planet Fitness at the Dedham Plaza (in Dedham) it's not woman's only but it is cheap! $10.00 a month (+ $39 Yearly maint. fee).

I use the Franklin, Milford and sometimes Walpole, MA locations. PF is really a no frills place but their tag is that they are judgement free... people of all shapes and sizes and age just exercising and working out. There's a ton of equipment too - so no waiting for a machine. 

You'd  have to know what you're doing becuase no one watches over you (unless you pay extra for a trainer!)

~CJ
atg106
on 1/8/10 9:55 am
Find a gym that you will be comfortable and find a couple of items which you will find interest in.  Although joining a gym now may be financially smart since they're all running specials, gyms are packed this month for people on their resolutions.

Next month is a better indicator for how packed your gym will be.  When I belonged to Planet Fitness, I was impressed that they provided a chart of the number of members at each particular hour.

The Gold's gym in your area is franchised out and belongs to one particular person who keeps the gyms in decent shape and allows for reciprocal membership at all of the different participating clubs which is a change of pace.

Good Luck.
Altheia
on 1/8/10 11:46 am - New Bedford, MA
Hi everyone!
Today I took the plunge! I joined the gym, yeah! I went for the no frills, basic, good equipment Planet Fitness. $1. to join, $10.00/month  and $29.00 annual maintaince fee every October! A trainer is there to show you how it works. If you would like a personal trainer it is $25.00/hour. My two grown son's joined with me.
Altheia
joe01880
on 1/9/10 1:34 pm - Wakefield, MA
I Joined planet fitness myself in November what i like about it is it is kinda bare bones, there's nothing to sit on except a piece of exercise equipment, no place to sit and shoot the breeze. Keeps me moving.

Joe Was Here 

Failure is not an option!

sandra267
on 1/10/10 6:10 am - hyde park, MA
 I have been a member of health works and bally's but what Iike the most is the YMCA.   It is coed but believe me there are people of every size and age.  Good equipment saunas and basketball court for my son.  They have a park with tennis courts and a walking track.  I can't run on the treadmill but I like to run sometimes before I work out.  I can also use my gym membership when I go on vacation.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views