Review of Chatila's Bakery in Salem, NH

RazzyRobyn
on 1/3/10 12:46 am - West Boylston, MA

So I was in the neighborhood of Salem, NH on 12/30 and decided to swing in and pick up some New Years goodies for me. If you don't know already, Chatila's bakery is a SUGAR FREE bakery right on the border of New Hampshire and Massachusetts! This bakery also ships ALL over! So, if you don't live in the local area you can still give them a try as they ship everywhere in the United States.

I purchased the following:

-Chocolate Etoile (pastry)
-Boston Napoleon (pastry)
-New Generation Chocolate Chip Muffins
-Whoopie Pie (pastry)
-Vanilla Walnut Gluten Free cookie
-Chocolate Gluten Free cookie

Pastry web link: http://www.chatilasbakery.com/products/pastries.html

Muffin web link: http://www.chatilasbakery.com/products/muffins.html

Cookie web link: http://www.chatilasbakery.com/products/cookies.html

Nutrition Information web link: http://www.chatilasbakery.com/nutritionalinformation.html

To order their products online instead of picking them up, here's the their online ordering website: http://sugarfreebakery.net/

A quick review of the items I ate are below:

Chocolate Etoile was decadent and rich. I ate off of it for a couple days. Truly a chocolate overload, in a GOOD, very good way!

Boston Napoleon: I ate the entire Napoleon, INCREDIBLE! The boston cream was incredible. I must admit I ate it too fast and suffered (but it was worth it, but I won't eat it that fast ever again!).

Choc. Chip Muffins - delicious. I'm eating one as I write this. (I bought a 6 pack and kept them refrigerated!) The muffin texture is a little different due to the Organic Almond Meal flour they use. However, it's an incredible tasting muffin that actually has 7 grams of protein in it! Carbs are low for a muffin, they come in at 14 grams for the entire muffin! I can eat about 75% of it. The pouch digs it!

Whoopie pie: This was very good, it tasted like the real thing to me. However it's big, so I was eating little slices from it over a day. I think you could put a platter of these whoopie pies out and the kids and grown ups would not know the difference!

Gluten free (also sugar free) cookies were just so tasty. They're not a chewy cookie, more like a dry cookie. The two flavors I had were very tasty and simple. I think I will order these to have in the house for me. One cookie satisfied my pouch. YUM!

So, when I find something great like this I want to share it with the local and global WLS community. I'm not receiving any compensation for suggesting this bakery... I just was so happy with everything I bought that I had to share it with you. I'm hopeful you will find this helpful.

Happy New Year everyone!

Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Just Brooke
on 1/3/10 1:39 am
Mmmm sounds good! Im so close to there and never stopped. I have a reason to now :)

Mara C.
on 1/4/10 4:40 am - Millbury, MA

Thank you so much Robyn for the review!!!  I was wanting to order their chocolate cheesecake for Xmas but never did.... maybe I will order it now for my bday at the end of the month!

maybe whoopie pies too!! ;)

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
thinsomeday
on 1/4/10 8:29 am - webster, MA
wow - that is awesome!  is there anything like that closer/  psyched they ship stuff to you!
thanks!!
sportsems01201
on 1/7/10 2:20 pm
I am new to this and I do understand we all having cravings and we can't fight them all but why did we go through this whole process if we are going to go buy pastry. Sugar free or not it is not helping when we eat a whole pastry I can see if you said you ate a  bite or two. I don't mean to be putting you down or making you feel bad. I just don't think we are showing you support when we encourage eating like that. I do appreciate the website info I am sure I will order something from there. or even stop in on my way to Maine.
RazzyRobyn
on 1/8/10 1:56 am - West Boylston, MA
To answer your question, I know I can handle having these treats around at the holidays. I am not saying that I plan to keep pasties in the house all the time. However, at Easter, Thanksgiving, Chirstmas and New Years I think I have a right to want treats for me. Especially while I watch everyone else eat a ton of food. I'm pretty good and find I can control it with a few bites and it's something I will have to work on the rest of my life. It's not just pastry either, I find it's hard to eat soup slow... I just want to scarf it down.

Now if sugar free bakery items are a slippery slope for you, then don't visit the bakery. However, I like to share things I find with the MA Weight loss forum as I hope people will share neat things they find with the board. This I think makes us a true community.

By the way, I have not taken your comment as putting me down or making me feel bad. I'm happy with my behavior. I think buying a few treats for the holidays, enjoying them, throwing away what I did not finish seems like a normal thing that normal people do - that have normal relationships with food. :)  The old me would have eaten all of that stuff quickly and still have eaten a ton of other food and not exercise. For me, to eat a few bites here and there over days (with the exception of the Napoleon, I will be more careful the next time) is great. I have not craved any of it since. So, it's been a win situation for me.

Have a happy new year and if you decide to visit the bakery let me know what you think. :)
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Mara C.
on 1/8/10 4:59 am - Millbury, MA
Well put Robyn.  Every person needs to do what they think is right for themselves.  I did have a sugar-free peanut butter pie on my table for Christmas b/c that's what Xmas was for us - lots of treats.  So I could have a small taste of something while everyone else ate all nine other full sugar desserts.  I felt normal and still stayed in my guidelines for protein that day too.  I too through out the left overs, (which I never had done prior to surgery)... Not b/c I didn't trust myself, but b/c it sat in my refridgerator for a wee****ouched by me...(again new for me!)  But if you can't control yourself to stop eating it, or it's making you eat more bad choices, I agree stay away.  But, we can still enjoy food after this surgery!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Just Brooke
on 1/8/10 6:38 am, edited 1/8/10 6:38 am
To say that you will NEVER have a type of pastry in your life again is ...well....unrealistic. I baked this Holiday season as I do every year. I made breads, cookies, and more cookies. I didn't make them for me. I made them for the multiple family gatherings. And can you believe it ...I had TWO oatmeal cookies. Really, in comparison to how I ate before surgery ..I would of eaten a whole hell of a lot of more! I totally think it's ok to TREAT YOURSELF once in a while. As long as you know where you are in your journey and know what is right vs. wrong than I don't think a few sugar free desserts along the way is going to damage/ruin your weight loss!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views