in need of advice

luvbug214
on 1/1/10 3:19 am - Worcester, MA
Hello everyone,

I am relatively new here still but I read a lot more than I post! 

I am concerned about the after care that my surgical program is providing. Before surgery, it seemed that everyone on the team talked and were all over me.  Since then, I feel that there are a lot of questions that have not been answered. I would like to toss some of them out to all of you to solicit feedback. Are you programs answering these questions/providing you this info? If so, can you help me out? 

1) How many grams of sugar should we be limiting ourselves (per serving of a food AND overall) in order to try to avoid dumping?

2) Has there been any distinction made between processed sugars and naturally occuring sugars? If so, what have you been told?

3) How many grams of carbohydrates should we be limited ourselves to (again, per serving and overall) in order to maximize weight loss?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kristin

"If you fell on a few stairs, you wouldn't pick yourself up and throw yourself down the rest of them would up? ...keep trying!
Check out my blog at kristinlostandfound.blogspot.com
HW/390     SW/ 370     CW/ 233    GW/?    
LisaBC86
on 1/2/10 2:33 am - Bridgewater, MA
I don't really have answers for you but didn't wan you to feel alone. I would definately bring these specific questions to your doctor and or nutrionist - they would be the BEST people to ask and it could be that they just don't cover it routinely only if asked ? Try it and see what happens.

Good luck to you !

Highest (that I know of) 285  Weight when I started the process 277
Night before surgery 263
  Goal weight 160

Smile ! You'll make the world a happier place !
Inspriational video "Strive for Perfection, Settle with Excellence !
OH Support Group Leader
Katie H.
on 1/2/10 3:42 am - Charlton, MA
Hi, I'll give you what I've gained through reading online, talking with my nutritionist & surgeon and personal experience.

1. I limit myself to 15 grams of sugar per meal (I eat 5 - 6 times a day).  If things I eat have malitol, sorbitol, etc... I'll get gas pains from anything more than 15 grams.  I pretend I'm diabetic, I use 15 grams as my cutoff - don't really want to know how sugar affects me, it's a slippery slope.

2.  I've been told by my nutritionist that sugars that are naturally occuring, such as in milk, aren't as bad for you and not to count them when I'm doing my 15 grams.  I tolerate fruit pretty well, so I eat it, not to excess though, and it's not the first thing I consume.  I make sure I have a protein base in my belly first - just in case.

3.  I don't pay that much attention to carbs, but I workout like crazy and my trainer told me I needed them for energy.  Even so, I watch what I eat.  I don't eat rice or pasta.  I eat limited potatoes and I use the little Arnold's or Pepperidge Farms round breads.  I do put Reduced Fat Cheese Its and cut up Luna bars in my trail mix.

When I go in for my appointments with my nutritionist I bring in TONS of lables and containers and a list of questions that have been brewing since the last time I saw her.  It seemed a little crazy at first, but it's been great because I don't forget anything I want to ask and I have all of my labels of stuff that I eat on a regular basis for her to check out for me.

Hope some of this is helpful!!

Katie

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Just Brooke
on 1/2/10 6:35 am
With sugar ...I stay under 15grams. I have no issues with Splenda so I use that when possible. But it also changes on a daily basis, literally. What is fine for me one day ...may not be fine the next day! I can eat all type of sugary fruits like berries, kiwi, etc with no problems.

My program says no breads, pasta, and rice for 6 months (or it might be 4 months) ..but I try to avoid it all together. Protein is your goal. Fruits and veggies are next. Carbs is last. Since I eat so little carbs I don't really "control" how much I eat because it's not that much to begin with.

When ever I see my NUT I am constantly asking about different foods. It's ALWAYS a learning process. And I still attend both pre-op and post-op surgical support groups. They keep me knowledgeable I think.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views