Fast Fixin Omelets

M M
on 12/29/09 7:22 am

Southwest-Omelet
 I have egg issues.  I haven't been able to eat them with any sort of love since gastric bypass.  If at the wrong consistency --- they get all urgly-gurgly in my pouch and slip up my throat.  Early out, it would happen in just a few bites.  Now, not so much, but, ick.

But.  I have found that Frozen Egg Products -- don't have the same crawling back issue.  Why?  They are drier - spongier (if that's the right word) and I can eat them without the "Oh no!"

I had been eyeing a frozen omelet in the Natural Food section of the grocery store, but it's price tag keeps me from buying it, $4.49 for ONE SERVING.  I can't bring myself to buy it.  I know I will, but, for now, I'm put off merely because it's $4.49 for ONE.  

So imagine my delight when I saw this: "Fast Fixin' Omelet."  I had only heard about it in folk-tales on the message boards.

I bought a box of the Southwestern style, because it's my preference to have veggies and taste in my eggs.

Serving Size85 g
Servings Per Container6
Amount Per Serving(+)
Calories150
Calories from Fat100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11g16%(-)
Saturated Fat 4.50g22%(-)
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 225mg75%(-)
Sodium 480mg20%(-)
Potassium(-)(-)
Total Carbohydrate 3g1%(-)
Dietary Fiber(-)(-)
Sugars 1g(-)(-)
Protein 10g(-)(-)
Vitamin A10%(-)
Vitamin C6%(-)
Calcium10%(-)
Iron4%(-)

(-) Information is currently not available for this nutrient.

(+) 1 Omelet

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depeding on your calorie needs:**

** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDI's that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.

Calories:2,0002,500
Total FatLess than65g80g
Sat. FatLess than20g25g
CholesterolLess than300mg300mg
SodiumLess than2400mg2400mg
Potassium3500mg3500mg
Total Carbohydrate300mg375mg
Dietary Fiber25mg30mg

Calories per gram:

Fat 9·Carbohydrate 4·Protein 4

Whole Eggs, Pasteurized Process Cheddar Cheese (Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Water, Sodium Phosphate, Milkfat, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Salt, Paprika and Annatto (Color), Powdered Cellulose (to Prevent Caking)), Water, Pre-Cooked Ham-Water Added (Ham, Water, Salt, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphates, Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite), Onions, Green Peppers, Red Peppers, Soybean Oil, Whole Milk, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Paprika, Garlic Powder,. Contains: Eggs, Milk, Soy.

If you are not a weight loss surgery peep, these omelets will not impress you in terms of size.  They are small.  Petite?  They are definitely kid-friendly sized.  I would venture to guess 1-1.5 eggs each?  If you don't have a wee belly like us, you are going to want to add something to this for a meal, that said.

THEY ARE TOO STINKING CUTE FOR US WLS'ers!  Big enough for the early out to think "I'll never finish that," but small enough for the five and a half year post op to eat the whole thing and feel satiated enough, because, it's eggs.  And eggs, they have sticking power.  Power to the protein.

You take the wee folded omelet out of plastic --- and microwave it.  The resulting product is a slightly cheesy, slightly veggie, baby egg omelet.  The consistency if cooked just long enough is soft and a bit moist. Overcooked it's denser and spongier and gets harder.  For the person (like me) who hates scrambled eggs or soft cooked eggs, it's perfect.  I do want more diced veggies and cheese in it, but, that's just me looking to slather the eggs in CHEESE.  (Like if we go out to breakfast and I'm ordering a three cheese omelet with five cheeses, with cheese, please?)  

As a early post op meal, half would do.  Later, the whole thing.  Later still, I think I might cook one, with one slice of ready-cooked bacon and it's a feast.  150 calories, 11 grams of fat, 3 carbs and 10 protein.  That's pretty kick ass.  I guess I am so positive about this, for two reasons, #1 IT MADE ME "FULL" for at least a while!!  #2 It's 150 calories that made me full.  That's not common, it usually takes more!

Where can you get this?  My guess, The Wal-Marts, as that's where I found it, nestled on the bottom shelf under the Jimmy Dean 400-500 Calorie Breakfasts Prime Eyeball Real Estate.  

Get a coupon here.

• Product - Fast Fixin' Southwestern Omelet 
  • Price - Oh no.  I can't remember!  It was four in a box, for less than $4, I know this much!
  • Via - Wal*Mart  UPC: 0007590116600
  • Pros - Too stinking cute, 150 calories, 10 grams protein.
  • Cons - I want more veggies and a half pound of melted cheese in it.
  • Rating - Pouchworthy, MM.
tauntonredsox33
on 12/29/09 10:05 pm - Taunton, MA
Thanks sooo much !
I'll have to give it a try !

Happy New Year
Melissa M. 
HW 250/SW 217/CW 117/ 1st GW 133/ 2nd GW 117
        Reached my goal!!!!!!  
celnik30
on 12/30/09 12:22 am
Sounds good!

“Just because an animal is large, it doesn't mean he doesn't want kindness; however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.”
    Cel

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views